sixty - presents

Austin arrives back at the hotel, and I'm still lounging in bed. When he walks in the door, I almost immediately jump him, attaching our lips before he lifts me away from him. "Hello to you too," he says in between kisses. "You have to wait." He tosses me onto the bed, disappearing into the bathroom and coming back with a small gift bag, which he sets next to me on the bed.

"Aus, come on. You know I didn't want anything," I say, reaching to give him a hug.

"It's only a little something," he shrugs, earning a loving smile from me.

I carefully open the bag to pull out a Chanel packing box. "C'mon babe, you didn't have to spend that much."

"Isla, you got me a Chanel watch for no reason... I think I can swing something special for you on your birthday."

Delicately, I pull the ribbon and open the box to reveal the tank top I've been looking at for the past weeks. I saw it on Instagram and have been obsessed with it since. The bra-top is multicolored, mainly pink, sequined and tweed, with thin pink spaghetti straps. "Babe," I blush at him, "Thank you so much, how did you know?"

He shrugs, "I have my ways." After the side eye I give him he answers, "I was going through the posts you liked on your phone and saw the top. I knew you'd be gorgeous in it."

"Awe, thank you." I reach back in the bag, retrieving the second and last item. I feel the spine of a book and grab it. It's the book Austin has been reading for the past trip. "Is this the one-?"

"That I've been reading that you keep trying to steal... yep." He flips the cover of 'What We Talk About When We Talk About Love' open, revealing some of his handwriting.

It reads:

"Isla Maeve... I've written in this book for you and hopefully once years have passed, we'll be getting married and know what people really talk about when they talk about love. Here's what love is to me: caring, accepting, supporting, and knowing each other. Everyday I care for you more, find more to accept and support, and I know you just a little better. Thank you for letting me love you. Hopefully I'm able to care, accept, support, and know you even better until the day death does us part. Happy Birthday, Dempsey.

Love, Austin (I'm all yours forever)"

By the end of the short monologue in the front cover, I flip through farther to see polaroids, photo strips, ticket stubs, receipts, and Austin's messy handwriting all over the pages and I'm tearing up. "I love you so much, Aus. You're too good for me," I softly speak, leaning my body toward his.

He pulls me into a hug, kissing the top of my head, "I love you too, I. For ever and ever."

I wipe the single tear off my cheek, pulling a leg around Austin's waist and pushing him back, causing his back to crash on the bed, me toppling down with him. "Austin," I say.

"Isla?" he responds, almost gasping for a breath.

I bend down, to whisper in his ear. "I'm ready for my last present."

I'm being flipped over, overtaken by Austin as he presses his body against mine.

***

ugh ew i hate writing anything remotely close to smut. Isla just went from crying right to it

Anyways ily and thank you for reading this book.... Figured you deserved a double update for me not updating in roughly 1000 years