⁂ Unsolved Mysteries ⁂

You drag yourself out of bed and head for the closet in which you select your outfit for the day. Even though you were still a little sleepy, you decided to go take a shower and returned to find Heizou preparing breakfast. 'Morning! Making pancakes was my idea of paying you back for making dinner yesterday.' The burned pancakes in the trash provided proof that Heizou had spent hours studying how to prepare them. Your eyes grew wide as you saw the pancakes. He brought a stack of pancakes to your seat, and you hurried over to the table to take your place. You noticed a strawberry-shaped heart in the centre of the pancake when you looked down. It definitely made you smile.

'These are heavenly~' You practically sang, taking another bite. And then another. Once finished, the two of you got onto the topic of the assigned case. 'So like..what even happened?' You asked him, hoping he had more intel than you did. 'Not a clue. If we head to the family's residence, we might be able to get more from them.' He replied, taking your plate and heading to the sink. Total malewife energy. You stood up and inserted your sword into its holder. 'Ready?' Heizou asked, finishing the dishes. 'Always' You replied. God i sounded so cool then.

Arriving at the family home of the Hueng family, Heizou knocked on the door. A woman opened it cautiously, eyeing the two of you up and down. 'Hello miss. Do you know this man?' You asked, holding a picture of him up to her. Her face trembled ever so slightly, 'I do. That is my late husband. Now why are the two of you here?' She asks, placing her hand on her hip. As if planned, you both held up your detective badges to the woman. Her eyesbrows fell a little. 'May we ask any questions? Where he passed? His personality? Any enemies?' Heizou queeried, taking out a pad and pen. The woman led them to her dining room and brewed a pot of tea. 'My Atiro..he was mostly loved by everyone around us. It was a complete shock when we found out he had passed. The Tenryou Commission ruled it as a suicide, but i know that's not true. It can't be. I can't think of any enemies of the top of my head, but if there were, they couldn't have been from around here. And he supposedly died in Chinju Forest.' The woman finished; wiping away a small tear. A sympathetic smile grew on my face. We thanked her for her time and headed straight to Chinju Forest.

'So that was a lot.' Heizou spoke as we left the residence. 'I agree. One thing that bothered me was that Kujou Sara told me about the autopsy and showed me photos of the crime, which were taken only a day after he was deemed missing.' Heizou looked over at you as you spoke. 'His body was..dry? But look around. It's autumn, just like when he died.' You both stopped at the entrance to Chinju Forest.
'Its muddy. Surely if he committed suicide, his clothes, his hair, he would have some trace of mud or on his shoes, the rain would have left his clothes soaked.' Heizou finished. You nodded at him. 'Something doesn't add up.'

You walked along the wet, cobbled path, you kept your eye out for any ideas. 'Y/n, do you have the crime scene photo?' Heizou asked you. You gave him the picture and his eyes squinted. It was quite fascinating, seeing his demeanour change when he was at work. So stern and get-to-the-point, nothing like his real personality. 'It's kinda hot- STOP Y/N. SNAP OUT OF IT' Your thoughts swirled around your head and you felt your cheeks turn a crimson red. 'Is it me, or do these leaves not look native to Chinju Forest?' Heizou asked, flicking his head back up to look at your red face. You could have sworn a smirk grew on his lips, but it could have been your imagination. You took the photo and looked around. The setting looks like Chinju Forest, but these leaves are oak, not sakura. 'Where can we find oak leaves?' You asked. 'Only in Ritou.' Your lips turned into a smile. 'We've got a lead.'

You reached Ritou in an instant. When questioned, the locals you visited all appeared to be comparatively innocent of Atiro's death. except for one individual. You approached a man who was dressed as a member of the resistance. You were aware of the Watatsumi Island Resistance. 'Hueng Atiro was a guy of moderate virtue. If anyone were to resent him, it would be someone with a different opinion.' Heizou remarked, you gave him a smile. He was a truly outstanding detective. You two moved toward the individual. He seemed rather nervous when he saw you coming. 'I'm sorry, but do you know who this man is?' You questioned him while presenting the picture. In an instant, the man escaped at the speed of light. 'Oh come on' You expressed, chafing after him.

A bolt of lightning shot through the tip of you sword. Surprisingly, the man dodged it. He fled to a rock formation near the ocean. Turning around, you found that you were alone once more. 'Give it a rest'  You shouted to him. He turned around to face you, before being dragged back with a tight grip. Your brow furrowed, following after the man. A smile erupted on your cheeks as you saw Heizou handcuffing the man. 'Anything you say will be held against you, alright?' You announce to him. looking up, you saw Heizou staring at you. He almost looked proud? 'A-alright, come on..if we go.' Heizou pushed the man and the two walked away. You were alone with your thoughts, again. Seeing Shikanoin felt..different. The way he smiled at me just made everything feel...perfect.

You arrived at the Narukami station a half-hour later. Thank god you didn't have to travel all the way back to Kannazuka. 'There she is!' As you entered the room, Heizou exclaimed. 'Hey! Get anything from him yet? You inquire.
'No, not quite. It's getting late, so should we go home?  I've decided to keep him here for the time being.'Holding out his hand, Heizou answered. You chuckled and accepted it, leaving the police station with him. Little did you know, you had a small audience watching the two of you in awe.

________________________________

A/N

Hey you lot

honestly i'm on a roll with these chapters
tysm to everyone who is reading this and i hope you are enjoying it so far!! :D

might pull for yoimiya

might save for sumeru

might do both

who knows? i don't