Will the wrong win?

Avantika's POV New Year's Night

As soon as the gates to the ballroom open the announcer announces George's name and we move forward. The ballroom was filled with women and men and elderly or young dancing, and talking over some drinks as the music fills the room with its melody.

I expected everyone to continue what they were doing after taking a glance, but the opposite happened everyone stopped whatsoever they were doing and stared at us. The cold sweat I was having made me feel suffocated I glanced towards George only to see him feel confident with all the attention.

He slowly looked at me and smirked making me irritated, he must be mocking me inside his head right now. He then gestured to me something with his eyes but I couldn't understand and looked at him confusingly he then slowly leaned towards my ears

"Have you forgotten to greet everyone?" hearing his warning I quickly turned around to everyone and with a smile, I grabbed my gown and bowed I then slowly stood up.

Then suddenly George came in front of me and asked

"Would you honor me with your first dance, my lady?" with his charmingly fake smile, and a threat underlining each word.

To this, I did what I was taught placing my hand in his hand smiling gently, and saying yes (cause I had no other choice) he placed his other hand on my waist and suddenly pulled me closer and whispered into my ears

" and hopefully your last dance." with a sinister smirk he looked into my eyes and the music started. My feet moved in sync with his. My eyes tried to look into his eyes but instead of his usual cold eyes, they were rather intensely looking at me today making it hard for me.

So instead I looked around only to feel more nervous than I already was, everyone was looking at me with judgmental eyes and murmured among themselves as they laughed looking at me. This made me accidentally step on George's foot, cursing at myself for getting affected by them.

I looked at him when he twirled me around and pulled me closer my back touched his chest, his breath brushing the curve of my neck as I nervously took a deep breath.

"Relax and focus."

I closed my eyes feeling his hands tracing my arms and turning me around and the music ended so did this dance. We moved aside from the dance floor to the lounge area.

George's POV

Her performance this evening was spectacular, but I didn't like every man in the room staring and lusting after her. I was searching for General Warren so I could satiate his curiosity and send her back but that old man was nowhere to be seen.

I saw Charles a pain in my neck approaching us, the thing I hate about him is that he disagrees with every single statement I make, scrutinizes my moves, and keeps sticking his nose in my business every time.

This time is no different as I see his eyes judging every single movement she is making, sensing the target of his mockery I send her towards the refreshment table to wait for me and remain discrete about her identity.

"Hey, how are you, George?"

"I'm well, but it's nice seeing you here, Charles."

"Yeah. Well, I'm seeing you've got a pretty partner this ball. I wonder to which family she belongs and how she caught your eye I mean she does have the charm. But it's only been around 2 months since you stepped foot here so how did you manage to have such a beauty it seems like you cherish her a lot. Right, George?"