Why do I care?

George POV

Fuck

I knew leaving her would be risky but I wasn't expecting this. The scene before me was shocking but I kept a calm composer. A very disheveled-looking woman with anger-filled eyes holding a dagger in her hand and a very beaten up Charles looking very terrified with a black eye and bleeding nose, the question is what happened and who is at fault??

I turn to look toward the other two men, General Warren who was pretty drunk now looked sobered up and Sergeant Philip started to pale before things get worse here I plan to calm a very enraged tigress and take care of her later.

I move forward and grab her wrist that is holding the dagger, I pull her to the side as the attendants quickly take care of Charles. I notice a bruise forming on her shoulders and tears of frustration welling up in her eyes as she continues to look out the window.

Knowing that Charles tried to harm her but instead ended up bruised and battered makes me want to laugh. I hate to admit but I admire her spirit and knowing that she wouldn't easily go down without a fight makes my chest swell with pride a little and I don't understand why.

I slowly placed my hand on her cheeks and made her look into my eyes, but what was I expecting she swatted my hand immediately and turned around to leave but looking at her condition more rumors can start to spread. So I grab her hand and take her to the room just across the study.

I lock the door behind us but before I can turn around she starts shouting

"I will not apologize to anyone and that disgusting man deserves to die for what he thought to do with me."

"What did he say to you?"

She turns around and moves towards the balcony, I follow her as she starts to mumble

"He talked about ruining you, asked from which whorehouse do I belong, how much you pay me for each night and how you'll feel if he RUINS ME!"

She tightly grips the railing and looks at me as if wanting to stab me to death.

"Come inside before they decide to arrest you."

I take her to the dressing table and make her sit on the chair before taking out all the accessories pinned on her hair. I comb through her hair using my fingers so she doesn't look like a mad woman, I partition her hair from the middle and pin the front pieces that were covering her face to the side. I also place my jacket on her shoulders to hide the bruises.

"Now whatever they say don't answer or react to their allegations and let me do the talking and just stand beside me, do you understand?"

She nods and gets up from the chair as I offer her my arm and escort her out of the room and it seems like General Warren is already waiting for me with the rest of his men. As Charles sits on a chair acting like a victim.

General Warren starts speaking in his commanding voice

"George it seems you have been befooled by this lady here as she is suspected to be a spy?"

"Sir allow me to explain-"

Charles immediately cuts me off

"Can you start by explaining how you met her or your relationship with her?"

Dammit, how do I explain this

"I..."

"If you can't explain we would like to arrest her and interrogate her privately as she might have intel about other plans that might take place by the rebels."

All their lustful gazes on her explain the method of interrogation they will choose and this will not happen.

I quickly look into General Warren's eyes

"Sir as this mistake has been made by me allow me to handle this situation. Firstly, she's no spy and has no connections with rebels. Secondly, as for her status and my relationship with her, I'd like to not disclose it because it has nothing with what transpired in this room. Charles tried to force himself on her to ruin her as a way to get revenge on me."

Hearing this Charles abruptly jumped from his chair "That's an absurd allegation, what proof do you have that I forced myself on her, whereas all of you saw her about to stab me in this room."

I move behind Avantika and said "Whatever she did was for self defence to protect her dignity and as for proof."

I slowly remove my jacket from her shoulders as she stays unmoving with her hands clasped in front. As everyone observes the bruises on her shoulders and arms.

"Oh please look at how she is standing does she look like someone who got assaulted. He is trying to put all this blame at me but can you explain why was she carrying a weapon to a ball and hiding in this room?"

"Her dagger is meant for her protection and I told her to wait here so i can fetch General Warren as he wanted to meet her."

"huhh how can anyone trust your story, who knows maybe you're helping those rebels as you've fallen for this one or maybe you're receiving benefits from them?"

Everyone's attention moves to me as if this is some kind of entertainment for them.

"I have always been a loyal soldier to my country and I'll never break my oath, don't you dare question my loyalty you filthy leech."

"HOW DARE YO-"

It seems the General had enough as he speaks

"Enough!"

"I believe you'll handle this situation George. I need clear cut evidence in 3 days or my men will arrest her."

General gets up from his seat and comes near me and whispers"You know the trouble these rebels have been causing us if people start believing about her being a spy you won't be able to save her and honesty why do you care? You can have any woman you want why mix with her kind and get dirty?"

Everyone leaves the room. And I leave the ball with her through the backdoor avoiding any rumors. Throughout the ride my mind kept repeating the question General asked

why do i care what happens to her?

Why does the thought of someone harming her and taking her from me angers me ?

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

hi guys