The Proposal

Avantikas POV

As I enter the dining room I see that man standing and motioning me to take a seat beside him to which I refuse and take my seat opposite him, putting distance between the two of us. I see as his expression turns sour but its his fault to expect me to sit beside him and listen to him obediently!

He motions the servants to start serving and then leave the room. Everyone except the two of us left the room. We start to eat but it seems both of us have lost our appetite, he clears his throat and starts speaking "Listen Avantika the commotion that you have caused at the ball is going to agitate the company and they'll execute any threat they see it has become a fun game to them to kill your people like animals."

He takes a sip of water tugging at the collar of his shirt and continues "You being a woman is going to be even more fun to them you wouldnt want to know the kind of methods they use with women. Now that they have got their eyes on you they'll overlook the case, that you were in the right."

He takes a long breath and then sighs "The only solution I could find is that you get yourself a man that's part of the company to take you under his protection and..."

I interrupted him and said "What do you mean by taking me under his protection listen dont beat around the bush say clearly."

He looks me in the eye and then looks at his hands before standing up and saying "The clear answer is that you'll have to marry someone on paper, the marriage certificate should be authorized by the church and you'll have to put a show for the society that you're performing your marital duties if failed to do so the marriage will be annulled, you'll be executed."

"So the answer is either marrying someone or getting arrested and tortured brutally."

He nods while sitting back down and massaging his head "Yes."

"You know that in my culture marriage is sacred I dont understand how you can proposition marriage as a solution so lightly and the company is filled with men lacking morals and manners, they're rotten yet they put a show of them being gentlemen, and call my people uncivilized." he clenches his jaws and fist.

I slam both my hands on the table and stand up" I would rather die with pride and dignity than do what you proposed but then dying for such a cause will be a waste."

He narrows his eyes trying to understand what I'm playing at.

I have to live to see my kingdom break free for this company to run from my motherland and to see Panikkar roar back to life. I have to live and for that, I'll do what I can.

"I agree."

He looks at me doubtfully. "I am serious. In my eyes this will never be seen as a proper marriage but a facade to fool the company ."he nods

"Yes, it won't be anything more than a facade."

"So when should we marry. on papers."

"How did you conclude that I'm the one marrying you?"

"Cause I didn't hear you mentioning another man." he smirks slightly

"Hmm I'll have the church make the preparations and well go there the day after tomorrow and you'll have to act like you are marrying at your wish."

"What are you trying to say?"

"You'll have to look happy so no one suspects us."

"I'll try. Anything else I should know about this church marriage customs?"

"Umm I forgot to mention but after signing the papers, and exchanging the rings well have to...kiss?"

"What does that mean?"

He gets up and starts to walk closer to me before leaning to my level meeting my eyes and saying "Kiss means when two people join their lips together." My eyes travel to his lips trying to understand that our lips have to join.

Still confused I look at him only to find him looking at my lips he suddenly looks up and stands straight clearing his throat he says "I'll make it quick, anyways tomorrow I'll send a seamstress to you to get a dress ready for the wedding and a jeweler to take size for the ring. That's all you may go back to your chambers if you wish."

"Very well then I'll take my leave." he nods and I leave the room, on my way suddenly my brain seems to realize that day after tomorrow I'll be marrying that man no no no only on papers nothing else yes it's only a show.

Georges POV

I move back to my study and start writing to the father of the church to make quick preparations, I write to a few of my friends to be witnesses of the marriage, then lastly to the seamstress and jeweler to make the dress and ring as fast as they could but it also should look proper and not rushed.

After I'm done sending those letters I change my clothes wash my face pour myself some wine then sit on the balcony feeling the cold night breeze on my skin.

That's when I remember my last encounter with Chad where he said I'll be marrying within 2 years I laughed, that bastard surely can read the future. But then this marriage is going to be a façade suddenly I start to remember her lips her sandalwood-rose scent those innocent eyes asking me what a kiss means.

My body was ready to give her a demo of a kiss but knowing her I'd be dead and I didnt need to die this soon. But when will this thirst for her stop and her thoughts will stop roaming in my mind? God how long has it been since I have relieved myself from stress I should look for a woman just for one night after this whole marriage and company situation gets solved.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////