The Silver Crescent

Without Devinie the hour dragged by uncomfortably, leaving Devin to close his eyes and lean back in the stiff wooden chair. The class lecturer continued chatting slowly, a jumbled mess of words to Devin's ears.

The shine of her hair stood out against the darkness of Devin's mind, making everything else pale in comparison to the smooth, silky texture of her gorgeous black locks. He reached out a hand, lightly brushing the soft, airy threads of hair. He flushed red, Devinie's face turning around slowly-

"Devin! Pay attention please!" His teacher shouted, Devin opening his eyes alarmingly. Behind him, Justin burst out laughing and slapped the top of his head.

"Dude, stop daydreaming about Devinie already!" Justin continued laughing, the rest of the class soon joining in at the expense of Devin's embarrassment.

He blushed and folded his arms, pretending to ignore the looks of his peers watching him and his every move. He felt his cheeks heating up and he tried to focus harder on the notes of the board. Devin normally never did well with public speaking, as the stress of everyone looking at him usually freaked him out. Feeling the numerous amount of eyes on him during this moment especially freaked him out. A bead of sweat pooled in his hair and began rolling down his ashen face, almost unnoticed by Devin as he closed his eyes and took in deep breaths.

One. Two. Three. He repeated this to himself slowly, trying to maintain calm thoughts.

But, his head wouldn't stop spinning. The classroom looked lighter than before and he couldn't hear around him. This lightheadedness wasn't uncommon to Devin, so, raising his hand he asked, "Can I use the restroom?"

His teacher nodded, giving Devin the go-sign to use the restroom. Placing a rough hand on his desk, Devin found the strength to push himself up, ignoring the glances from classmates around him. The room was shaking left to right and Devin stumbled, regaining his balance by placing his hand on the desk.

Slowly but surely he placed one foot in front of the other, finally reaching the door and tugging it open. After stepping outside, he felt a gush of relief descend upon his body and disintegrate any feelings of humiliation or shame he had been feeling earlier. Being away from the crowd of people in his classroom made him feel better and he took a deep breath to stabilize himself.

"April- I said I'm fine!!" An exasperated voice rang through the silence, startling Devin as he jumped at the unexpected sound. Turning around, he saw Devinie exiting the girl's bathroom, a small device in her right hand. Alarmed at the sight of her, Devin ran and hid behind a small trashcan. After the incident in class, Devin didn't want to be anywhere near her and he especially didn't want to talk to her.

Narrowing his eyes, Devin glimpsed at the small device in her hand. It didn't look like anything he had seen before. It was a shiny, crescent-shaped object. It was the color of polished silver and was about the size of Devinie's fist.

Devinie shook her head, an angry frown on her face. Her eyebrows were scrunched up and her left hand was clenched in anger. Devin had never seen such a look on her before.

"Did you find him? Did you see him?" A sweet, uplifting voice asked. It must have been coming out of the small device since there was no one else around. Devin was curious how it worked since he had never seen such a device before, but it soon escaped his focus.

"I did- but I'm not sure what I should do." Devinie's facial expression suddenly turned grim, and she dropped down to her knees. "April- I miss everyone so much. I miss my home and I miss Togan and-" she started weeping. "There's so many different here than in Togan- sometimes I just can't understand Earthlings."

The silver crescent started levitating off of Devinie's hand and hovered a few inches away from her face. "Are you sure you don't want to come home?" The silver crescent asked loudly.

From his standpoint, Devin couldn't believe what he was seeing. Floating crescents, a crying Devinie, and the whole exchange in general. Why had Devinie said "Earthlings?" And where was Togan? Devin had never heard of it.

Devinie's frowning lips hardened into a straight line. Suddenly there was a sort of hardness in her voice, an edge that hadn't been there before. "I can't do that. You know I can't go home." She stood up, grabbing the crescent. "You know I can never go home." Devin couldn't see what she was doing, but after a few seconds, she put the silver crescent in her pocket, her face an empty slate, void of all emotion. Quickly, Devinie turned the opposite way of where Devin was sitting and walked back to her classroom, just as the bell rang.