Unexpected

Devinie's POV:

I had never come to Earth to attempt to date Devin. Despite my strong feelings for him, I had bigger intentions. I knew I couldn't stay away from him any longer, it was tormenting me. With that in mind, I made the decision to go to Earth and attempt to be friends with him. I was excited to watch him grow old and be close to his side. I was excited to watch him grow up and get a wife and buy a house, maybe get a dog or have a child. I was excited to watch over him the whole time. I didn't want to cross the boundaries and create a romance between us. But those dreams: shattered. I could never have a normal friendship with him now. Tears poured down my cheeks as I ran as fast as I could, in any direction that I could. His crestfallen face was burned into my mind and I couldn't see it. Why... why did this have to happen? I should have shoved him away when I had the chance. Now our friendship was irreparably broken because I had decided to be greedy and kiss him back...

Maybe April had been right. Maybe I should have never come. I fumble in my pockets, the tears blurring my vision as I find the optical in my pocket. The crescent-shaped, silver device began to float as it scanned my eye and began to glow. I placed a finger on the optical, allowing it to scan my fingerprint.

"Call April," I whispered, borderline hysterical. April would know what to do. She always did.

"April? Are yo-you ttherrre?" The sobs constricted my throat, making it hard to breathe.

"Devinie? Is that you?" I raised an eyebrow in shock. That wasn't April's voice. It was my mom's.

"Mm-om? What are you-uu ddoing using April's pphone?" I stuttered, confusion lacing my voice as I looked at the optical skeptically. Had someone hijacked my optical somehow?

"Listen closely, dear," mom whispered, her voice clearly strained. "April's dead. Your dad and I are hiding in special quarters that no one knows about. We've received word that the Rascal is on the loose, and he's after you dearest."

My mind started spinning. April... died? My sister of two lives? Once killed by extraordinary means your life ceased to exist and you were never reincarnated. For elders who had been living ten or more lives, a forced death was a good option to stop their forever exhausting reincarnations. But... April? She hadn't even lived ten lives. She was still so young. Fury creased my eyebrows and I clenched my fist in anger. My mom's words were tuned out and I couldn't help but breathe out angrily and curse the Rascal for what he had done.

The Rascal was a notorious villain known for committing heinous crimes. My people said that he was an alien species... yet, no one had ever seen his face.

"Mom... are you saying that the Rascal is coming after me next?" I said, the stutter gone as the seriousness dawned on me.

"I'm afraid so. Either that, or he's after your mate." I shuttered, thinking of all the things the Rascal might do to Devin. I couldn't let that happen. No matter what.

"I'll protect him," I promised. "I swear on my life."

"I know you will, Vinnie. I love you." With that, the orbital dimmed and collapsed in my hand. I was no longer worried about the kiss I had with Devin. My main priority was saving his life