Close Call

Jerry's POV:

Years ago after escaping prison, I had come across a brunette young woman and dark haired child who had come back from the Elder's district. They had been holding a bag of medication and the dark haired girl was holding the brunette's hand tightly. Those with visions usually received medication after going to the Elders for advice and council.

Medicine was always a tell tale sign of visions. Taking the chance I decided to follow them in hopes of seizing an opportunity to strike. I would've never guessed that both of them would be guilty of the visions.

Hearing about the child's soon departure to Earth, I decided to head to the planet before her and lay out my trap. I would come back for her sister later.

So indeed I did. With Devinie consumed with thoughts of Devin, I came back to Togan and dealt the final blow, my turmoil disappearing inside me as I basked in the overwhelming joy of another kill. Another one of those bloody dreamers, gone.

She deserved it for telling Devinie to chase after her mienza. Devinie belonged to me and only me and it was her sisters fault for not realizing it. She got what she deserved for turning Devinie away from me.

Arriving back on Earth, I expected Devinie to be distraught from her sister's death. I expected her to think coming to Earth was mistake and that she needed to go back to Togan, where I would be waiting for her. But that moment never came.

Somehow, her her sister's death had brought Devinie and Devin closer than ever before.

Blood boiling, I watched as Devinie confessed the truth to Devin about us, about our planet and about the visions. She had no right.... she had no right to tell an Earthling that!

No matter how much I loved Devinie... I knew she had to go. Her visions and love for Devin was too dangerous. I knew... I knew I could never force her to love me after this.

Laying back in the shadows of the doorway, I plotted my move...

"So, you're telling me... YOU KISSED HER BUT DON'T KNOW IF YOU'RE DATING?" Justin roared, his voice shocking students across the lawn and casting all eyes upon the two of them.

A bead of sweat rolled down Devin's face and he scratched his neck. "Can you keep it down, man?" He asked, nodding apologetically to passerby as he and Justin walked past.

Justin shook his head, pushing his hand into his temples and closing his eyes. "I'm just, I'm just completely shocked. You finally got the girl but you failed to ask her out. You're a mess."

"I know- I know," Devin rolled his eyes, annoyed by his friend's chastising. He expected Justin to be at least a tiny bit impressed but instead he was obsessed with the fact that Devin didn't ask her out.

Maybe next time Devin would refrain from telling his friend the details.

"So what are you waiting for? Ask her out when you get the chance!" Justin swung an arm around Devin's shoulders. "Now let's get to class."

The dull, rambling class bored Devin to sleep as his teacher kept speaking about popular economics theories that didn't concern him whatsoever. He blinked, the sound of his professor lulling him asleep...

"Devin? What's the answer to number two?" Devin opened his half-lidded eyes, glancing around the room to see everyone in the class looking at him. He shrugged, his head falling nonchalantly onto the desk.

The rest of the class flew by like a blur, his professor purposely ignoring him and asking questions to the other students.

Bing! The school bell startled Devin from his daze, causing him to jump out of his seat and bang his knees on the bottom of the desk in front of him.

"Ouch!" Devin exclaimed, reaching his hand under the table to massage his knees. He stood up, grabbing his gray fjallraven kanken backpack in the process. Briskly walking past his teacher who was typing furiously on his keyboard, Devin made his way towards the door and opened it.

Instantaneously he heard a scream to his right. It was a shrill one, a one of hear. But the voice, the melodic, wispy voice, could only belong one person.

Hounding himself in the direction of the scream, Devin sprinted as fast as he could, the world around him becoming a blur as he thought about the most important person to him ceasing to exist...

He rounded the corner, only to see Jerry holding a thin bladed knife to Devinie's throat. A malicious grin was on his face and his strong arm was wrapped around Devinie so that she couldn't move. So much as a touch to Jerry would send the knife sliding against the dewy skin of her neck and Devinie would be dead.

Devin grimaced, watching the scene unfold in front of him, his love in the hands of her supposed "boyfriend" who was supposed to love her. Why was he about to kill her?

"Well well well. Look who's here," Jerry smirked, his eyes flashing dangerously.

"Let Devinie go." Mouth drawn in a line, Devin tried not to show any fear and looked at Jerry with nerves of steel. They were in a sequestered part of campus underneath a porch-ceiling designed roof. The sun illuminated the concrete ground and the three as they stood together, Devin facing Jerry and Devinie.

Jerry had his typical gold plated glasses and his hair was slicked back in a wave. He was wearing a white shirt and black cargo pants. He also had Doc Martens. Devinie on the other hand was wearing a teal tanktop with white shorts. She had tennis shoes on and her hair was pulled into a ponytail, exposing her neck. She had glimmering blue eyeshadow and pink lipstick.

Jerry chuckled, his laughter echoing in the confined space. "Why should I give Devinie up? I'm the Rascal, after all."

Devinie's eyes widened in shock and she tried to look at Jerry, only for the dull blade to dig further into her skin. "Yyy-ou... you-uu k-kk-killed App-pril?" Devinie stuttered, her fists shaking by her side. Trembling, she turned towards Jerry, a piece of skin being sliced off in the process.

Lunging, Devin reached forward to treat her cut but was knocked away by Devinie herself as she faced Jerry.

Jerry rolled his eyes and moved the knife closer to her neck. "She had it coming. She told you to go after your mienza when instead she should have told you to go after me." He shook his head in anger and looked at Devinie. "You belong with me," he whispered, tilting her chin upwards.

She flinched, anger of her own consuming her body slowly. Reaching up with her palm, she slapped Jerry's cheek, the hollow sound booming in the emptiness.

The sound fading into the distance, the anticipation grew as both Devinie and Devin looked up at Jerry, the teen leaning backwards from the blow. Devin narrowed his eyes, looking at Jerry's face intently. A slow grin crawled across Jerry's face, the sight giving Devin goosebumps as he stared at malicious teen.

"Nice try, Vinne," he uttered, Devinie shuttering at his chilling voice. He looked right at Devin and smirked. "Say goodbye to your precious girlfriend." Drawing the knife, he cut through Devinie's neck-

"NO!" Devin screamed, his hysterical voice rang through the hostile air-

Suddenly, Jerry was sent flying backwards onto the concrete, his legs flying in the air as he fell. Devinie stood standing casually, Jerry's bloody blade now in her hand. She smiled widely, dropping the knife and running into Devin's arms. He smiled too, closing his eyes and burning the warm feeling of her in his chest into his mind. Both of them ignoring the bleeding body across from them, they took sanctuary in each other's arms.