This Trip is Terrible

Theodora sighed wholesomely as she glanced out the big glass doors of the hotel. There was a ginormous sandstorm today, and the storm was said to be so dangerous that nobody could even go outside. Part of her wondered what Justinian was doing, but he was probably getting a free room, food, and water right now, so what was there to worry about? Besides, she should be more concerned about herself. Even though this was supposed to be a "vacation" she was already getting bored out of her mind. 

She and Devin had played enough chess games by now, and when they had tried to play checkers Coco kept cheating and moving Theodora's pieces around. It wasn't fair, but at least it gave them something to laugh about. 

But, a few minutes ago, the loudspeaker had sounded. A lady on the mic said that anyone who came down to the lobby would get free hamburgers and milkshakes. So, that's exactly what Devin and Theodora had done. They had gone down into the lobby and were now waiting in line. However, it was a little unnerving to see waves of sand hitting the door and whirlpools of sand blocking the view of the perfectly sculpted sand dunes.

"Attention, attention. There is a man up here who has been arrested by the police. The police need his girlfriend to come up here right away and release him. The name is Ju-uustinini- you know what I'll just spell it. J. U. S. T. I. A. N.  K. O. H. If you are his girlfriend, come right away to the basement floor. Thank you!" Theodora looked up in surprise and grabbed Devin's arm.

"Hey! Maybe they decided to let Justinian go early! Should we go get him?" Theodora asked, anxious to see Justinian and enjoy the remainder of their romantic vacation together.

Devin grimaced, and his eyes roamed around the room, too nervous to focus on Theodora herself. "Well... I mean. Don't you want the food? There are only 3 people left in the line beside us."

"Ah. I guess you are right. Let's wait then!" Theodora piped up, smiling as Coco flew over to Theodora's hand. Theodora petted the beautiful bird and burst out with laughter as Coco tried to fly farther away, but couldn't. The leash tied to her leg was stable, and Coco could no longer fly farther than Theodora.

Devin shook his head, and before they knew it they were already at the front of the line. They got their food and then stepped into the elevator, pressing the button for the basement. After all, that's what the lady had said earlier. Traveling down the levels, both Theodora and Devin stood awkwardly as the song "twinkle, twinkle little star" came on the radio. 

"There you are! We began to think you weren't coming! You're Theodora, right?" The officer said, the doors of the silver elevation sliding open slowly. But, as both Theodora and Devin heard that, they stepped towards the doorway at the same time. Their bodies smashed together, and they barely made it through the skinny elevator door shoulder to shoulder. When they finally got through the tight passageway, they both blushed bright red and refused to look at each other.

"Yes, I'm Theodora Williams."

"Oh, alright then? Are you absolutely sure though? You two look romantically involved. The real Theodora is supposed to be Justinini's girlfriend," the officer said, raising an eyebrow. 

"Ah, no sire. I think you may have misunderstood. And his name is Justinian, by the way," Devin said, shifting his weight awkwardly, too embarrassed to look at anything or anyone other than the ground and his muddy boots. The officer gave him a scary look that said: "are you trying to tell me how to do my job?"

"That's Theodora alright," another officer said, his authoritative voice reminding Theodora of the deputy she had run into before...

He had the same sharper-than-normal chin, same black boots, same wavy brown hair, and the same golden badge that said "Deputy Kurtis Wang".

"Deputy!" Theodora yelled, running up to the police officer and giving him a huge hug. "I knew you'd bring my Justinian back to me!" Rolling his eyes, Deputy Wang just stepped back and shoved a clipboard at her with three sheets of paper.

"Just sign the papers, please. And Officer Davis can you please bring in the prisoner?" Deputy Wang asked, raising his eyebrows in the direction of the officer.

"Aye aye, sir!" The officer said, rounding the corner and pulling an unrecognizable figure from the darkened corner. 

Justinian looked like a ghost of himself. For starters, he had huge bags under his eyes. His cheeks were sunk in, and he was hunched over like an old man. His shirt was torn to shreds, and there were multiple bleeding wounds on his exposed arms. His nice checkered shoes looked soaked, and his beautiful brown hair was blown through with sand. In fact, all of Justinian was covered his sand.

Tearing up, Theodora quickly looked through the papers, not bothering to read the small print or anything else. She wanted to get him out of these handcuffs as soon as possible. 

"Just remember, this is only a warning. The next time that you bring aboard a dangerous item or destroy passenger property you will get fined. And you'll probably be put in jail for at least two months," Deputy Wang said, waving his hand at the officer in confirmation. "However, because of your hypothetical danger to society here, we're going to have to ask you to leave immediately. The sand storm should be settling down in about an hour, at which time all of you will have to leave. Thanks for your stay." Nodding at the officer, Deputy Wang saluted, then left the room, Officer Davis following his lead. 

"Hey, are you okay?" Theodora asked, kneeling down next to Justinian as he started coughing, a mix of sand and blood coming out of his mouth. 

"I'm... fine," Justinian said, coughing repeatedly, and gesturing wildly for water.

"Well if you're fine, I'm sure this won't hurt at all," Theodora said, reaching out her hand and slapping Justinian across the face. 

"I mean, I love you and all, but how dare you! This was supposed to be our trip and you ruined it because of your outrageous jealousy! You almost got yourself fined, Justinian! And if your company had heard about this you'd already have been fired by now! Do you know how lucky you are that you didn't get fined? This didn't even go on your record!" Rocking back and forth on the ground, Theodora began to cry. "Dang you and your stupid jealousy. I love you, but you need to learn how to control yourself." Wiping the tears from her eyes, Theodora stood up and walked through the doorway and into the open elevator. "I think I need to cool down. So, Devin and I will get you some water. Goodbye, Justinian."