MY HEART GO LIKE BOOM BOOM BOOM

It was like Justinian's world had cracked and shattered into a million pieces.

Every guy knew what look a girl gave when she was already taken by someone. Her eyes would light up, she'd laugh and cry (but try to be discrete about it), please her boyfriend or spouse beyond whatever expectations they held for her, and she would stare at her phone in anticipation while waiting for the next step. 

And all of these were evident in Theodora as she pulled out her phone and asked Timothy to take her place. Theodora never asked Timothy to take her place. Not once, not ever. And now, here she was, giddy and excited while staring at her phone and silent tearing up. And they were not sad tears. They were ecstatic tears. And by now, Justinian knew what that meant.

Theodora, the woman he had suddenly started caring for over the past month was already in love, or dating, or engaged, to another man. Why hadn't she told him sooner? Why had she led him on for so long when she knew dang well that she couldn't, nor wouldn't be interested in him again?

Justinian felt like throwing up. Actually, no. That was disgusting. Rather, he felt like kneeling down on the floor in front of all of these people and crying. He felt like curling into a ball and staying like that for the rest of the time. He would do anything to stop the pain that was bubbling up inside of him like a tidal wave. His heart had been chopped up into little pieces, then ground into sawdust by a sharp hammer.

But, it puzzled Justinian so. Why had he even gone after the woman he had dumped? It was obvious she had been hurt by him. She would not open up so easily again. So, why had Justinian done it? Why had he chosen to get close to his ex-wife? He was an idiot that's what.

Shaking his head, Justinian grabbed his hot coffee and picked up his phone. Glaring at Theodora, he shook his head in disbelief one more time, then stormed out the front door, not looking back.

His heart had gone like BOOM BOOM BOOM, then exploded. Goodbye, he whispered to himself, then made his way back to his hotel room, ready to pack up his stuff and take a plane flight back to California once and for all...

-

Theodora did not even notice Justinian running out the door. Theodora didn't even notice half of her customers running up to Justinian and asking for an autograph.

All Theodora could think about was the message on her phone and how much Thomas had sacrificed to be with her. It was astounding, really. She had really no clue that her beloved boyfriend would do anything to be with her. But, before he got here, Theodora needed some marshmallows.

Everyone who knew Theodora knew that she had been obsessed with marshmallows since she was a baby. Those puffy, adorable white balls of sugar with little crystals hanging around the edge were the most perfect treat. Especially when you put them in your mouth. You could chew them, dissolve them, swallow them in one whole bite. Whatever piqued someone's interest that was. Some diabolical creatures even made smores with them. Theodora shook her head. Those people were pure animals in her opinion. But a good marshmallow always cleared Theodora's head but also gave her a desperately needed sugar rush which would boost her confidence levels.

Theodora smiled as she gave Timothy a high-five up in the air. "I'm going out for a bit, Tim! Keep the place safe for me, will you?" Not bothering for an answer, Theodora ran out the door, almost flying in the air. Then she ran down the street. She knew the closest grocery store. And what grocery store didn't have marshmallows? But, little did she know, a creepy guy was stalking her down the street...

-

Justinian stared at Theodora as she gallivanted down the street, her feet flying forwards and her arms hanging delicately by her sides. She was quite beautiful, honestly.

Shaking his head, Justinian pinched himself. What was he doing, stalking his ex-wife on the way to the store? Besides, what was he thinking? She wasn't beautiful, and she had a boyfriend.

But, no matter how much he told himself that, he couldn't shake off the feeling that something seriously wrong was about to happen...

So, he followed her into the store. He stuck to the back as he followed her around like glue. Theodora was searching for something, but for what?

Finally, after five long minutes, Theodora apparently found what she was looking for because she immediately started jumping up and down and yelling, "MY OH MY, MY BABIES! I FOUND YOU!"

Theodora was holding a bag of marshmallows. Justinian raised an eyebrow and tried not to laugh. You try watching your ex-wife get more delighted at seeing marshmallows than seeing your own face.

Shaking his head, Justinian reluctantly watched her from a distance as she paid for her "babies" then walked out the store, singing "twinkle, twinkle little star" all the while.

Some women were actually crazy. But, that's what he loved about her. She was quirky and funny. Theodora was different.

But suddenly, Justinian heard a raspy, choking noise. In front of him, he saw Theodora kneeling on the ground and clutching her throat. She was obviously choking. Freaking out and seeing nobody else around, Justinian ran towards her and used the Heimlich maneuver on her. Putting his arms under her ribs, he yanked up, causing Theodora to lean forward, and the marshmallow flying out of her mouth and onto the ground.

Letting go of her, Theodora started wheezing and lay down on the ground, grabbing her marshmallows as her comfort device. Then she started wailing, Justinian standing over her and watching her shove more and more marshmallows into her mouth.

This woman needed therapy. Like seriously. And Justinian knew exactly who the therapist should be...