SHUT UP

Theodora glanced down at her shimmery Samsung phone, which reflected the sunlight shining directly on the screen on her phone. Just one call. Just one.

"Baby? Why won't you just move in already?" Theodora whined, listening to the annoying dial and ring of her phone as it tried to reach her beloved. If he had moved in, there would have been no reason to call him. If he had moved in, they could spend every second of every day of every year together, and they would be happy. No calls, no phones, and no satellites would be needed if they were together. They would never have to part again.

"Hello?" Justinian asked, his voice obviously annoyed and frustrated. Theodora wondered what had made him that way, but no matter. Theodora knew without a doubt that she could cheer him up from anything.

"Hi! I just wanted to see how you were doing!" Theodora asked, anticipating a lengthy response. Afterall, Justinian was her one and only, and he always told her EVERYTHING. He definitely appreciated her untimely calls and prolix conversations. And, they were married! It was reasonable to call him every thirty minutes. Besides, Theodora was extremely bored in quarantine, and she couldn't see how Justinian wasn't. Perhaps it was just part of his nature as an introvert.

"Theodora. You just called. THIRTY MINUTES AGO!" Justinian murmured angrily, a hard edge creeping into his voice that she had never heard before.

"I'm sorry! I just couldn't stand being without you, and I thought you felt the same way!" Theodora cried, her heart racing as she thought about what might happen. She didn't want to make Justinian angry. She just missed him, that was all.

"Theodora," Justinian muttered, "Thank you for caring about me, but it has been too much lately. Can't you just shut up for once? I think we need a break, okay?" Before Theodora could even reply, she heard the phone hang up and an alert saying her number had been blocked. She felt tears forming in her eyes, and then she collapsed in sobs.

-

THEODORA POV:

It's been a couple of weeks since we've broken up. I can't help but regret my constant nagging of his behavior, but how is it my fault? Can you blame me for caring so much about someone? After all, we're married. It's obvious that we should be checking in with each other.

On the other hand, I did call him every thirty minutes. I mean, if someone did that to me I'd lash out too. Maybe he was just working, and he couldn't focus with me calling him constantly. But, he could've just said it. Why'd he have to yell and break up that harshly? How could we even break up to begin with, though? We're married. We can't exactly break up unless we sign divorce papers.

"SHUT UP!" That's the only memory that's racing through my mind right now. Was I wrong about him? Was he really my soulmate?

As my thoughts continue to race through my head, I hear a sudden, familiar ding echo through my little cottage. I recognize it as the doorbell, but I don't want to answer it. Who could be daft enough to annoy me at a time like this? Why did they even disturb my reverie, to begin with?

"Theodora, answer the dang door!" Grant yells from upstairs. I can't believe that lazy butt can't even come down here to answer the door when I'm in the midst of emotional pain.

Justinian... I need you...

Getting up off of the carpet, I try to wipe the tears from my eyes, but to no avail. My mascara is running and it's like there is a permanent red haze surrounding my eyes. Maybe once the surprise visitor sees me they'll get scared off and leave me alone.

Putting my hand on the handlebar, I open the door to see my best friend from school: Kailey. I haven't talked to her in a while, and I doubt she even knows I've been dumped by the love of my life. Despite that, I burst into a renewed vigor of sobs, letting out my sadness and frustration upon my once good friend. All I want to do is vent out the whole story, and now I'm glad I have a shoulder to cry on and an arm to lean on...

-

JUSTINIAN POV:

I've never felt so free as I do right now. I've got a great business collaboration, the best sushi from my favorite restaurant, and no more annoying calls from my ex-girlfriend. Sweet! I'm living life at it's fullest! Honestly, I wished I had dumped Theodora months ago. What was I thinking when I said I would propose and marry her? I must have been completely out of my mind.

I knew there must have been a reason when I refused to move in with her. At the time, I just thought I didn't want to depend on a woman and live off of her like that. Now I know. I guess I just wasn't ready for a relationship like this. Maybe I never was. Or maybe, she was just way too crazy for me. After all, we only started dating the day we met each other. That was the biggest warning sign, but of course, we were so blinded by love that we didn't see it. Our relationship was destined for disaster, and I'm glad I figured it out the easy way. I mean, I didn't want to be the one dumped, so obviously I had to do the break up first if I didn't want to get broken up with.

I lay back in my chair and whistle. Fun times. Great times, actually. I've never been better!

Picking up my hand-crafted chopsticks from Taiwan, I pick up a piece of my favorite sushi: spicy tuna with avocado and plop it into the container of soy sauce next to it.

Nom, Nom, Nom

Delicious. I've never been to Japan, but I think I might go now. They probably have the freshest fish, and the freshest sushi available to customers! Now that I don't have a crazy girlfriend/wife to deal with, I can go by myself and enjoy the wonders of Tokyo!