2

I sent my mom a text message, letting her know I was on my hike now, no cell service for at least two weeks. Depending on how long I took to traverse the terrain I had mapped out. This wasn't a race. This was a chance for me and Hilda to bond in nature. For me to need to rely on her skills as I decided what I wanted to do with my life.

I adjusted my hiking pack as I walked the trail through the first part of the park down to where the tour boat waited. Using the time to consider my current situation.

My mother thought I should ask to be a chosen mate. To make peace and welcome Aaron's fated mate. 'You and Aaron have so much history together Avalon, don't throw it away.' She had warned me. I couldn't. Maybe if my introduction to his mate had of been kinder. One where she had clothes on at least. I could have tolerated the idea enough to consider it. As it stood any thoughts of her turned my heart murderous.

She was a wolf, she would have scented me all over Aaron. All over the sheets, the apartment. There were no excuses. Neither her or Aaron had considered my existence an important enough reason to pause and stop themselves. I could never choose partners who had proven themselves so inconsiderate to me.

That was what had hurt me the most. Aaron and I had been together since we were teenagers. The only two shifter's in our small inner city high school. He had been my best friend. My only boyfriend. He felt like he was my other half. Cats were never fated, but it had felt like we could have been.

He was a tiger, his beast enormous with beautiful burnt orange fur. Hilda hadn't decided to set our claim on him only because she didn't feel like we were worthy for a tiger. Afterall, my own father had rejected us when I shifted the first time and wasn't a puma like he was. Leaving mom, calling her a cheating slut and never looking back. Mom hadn't cheated. Mom was a deer shifter, prey and predator shifter's rarely mated. Hybrid genes could be unpredictable.

Hilda had wanted Aaron to choose us first. To know he found us worthy, that he loved us just as deeply as we did him.

The ten year anniversary of our first date was next week. I had found a badly hidden ring in his sock drawer just last week. A beautiful small diamond engagement ring. Aaron must have saved for a while to afford it on his mechanic's salary. A single week ago I had thought all my dreams would come true.

Four days ago my life came crashing down instead. When I came home from the university early. Finding them together in our bed. I had been deranged as I screamed at them, trying to grab enough stuff to get me through the night at my mom's apartment. Unable to see straight through my tears and rage.

I had slapped Aaron before I left screaming at him to pack up what was mine. I'd pick it up tomorrow before storming to my mother's to rage and cry in near equal measure.

Three days ago back at the office. My mom has just called to let me know Aaron had delivered all my belongings. Trying and failing to focus enough to grade lab reports. The mail had been delivered. A newsletter, charity casino night invitation, various other fliers and junk mail. Last a simple memo regarding a fully funded field research position that had gone unfilled. A note from the dean that the position was offered every year but had not had any interest in years. The subtext plain. The dean was worried about losing the lucrative funding.

The only hitch being that it was in a remote, uninhabited, no human comforts provided part of Newfoundland. A couple weeks with no one around sounded like a very nice vacation to my messy mind and broken heart. Plus the chance to jumpstart my own research career made it seem perfect. I had submitted my letter of interest and been confirmed as the only successful candidate that same afternoon. Last night I boarded a ferry to Newfoundland to start my solo adventure.

Just as I finished going over the recent events that had brought me here, I made it to the end of the trail. A cute double decker tour boat idling at the dock. A few other tourists were waiting to enjoy the first tour of the day. I was the only one kitted out for a hike. Which was even better. I wanted solitude.

I sat down on a wooden bench. A few more tourists made their way to the waiting area. Finally a guide came and gave preliminary safety instructions, before we were led down to the docks and onto the boat.

It was beautiful. Everything looked too pristine to be real. I tried to pay attention to the guide as he recounted the history of the area, naming the multitude of waterfalls rushing over the rocky cliffs. I was finding it hard to focus, anxious and excited in equal measures to start my adventure.b Hilda was excited to hunt, to live wild and free.

I saw the small dock up ahead, as the guide called me out, asking everyone to wish me happy trails on my hike as the boat chugged to a stop. A rickey gangway was deployed. Allowing me to disembark at the halfway mark of the regular boat tour. I stood for a moment on the dock. Waving at the strangers who waved goodbye to me. Then I was alone. Listening as the low puttering boat engine noise faded away. Only the sound of my own heart beating and nature around me.