26

I ran the entire rest of the night through the trees. Then kept going until I hadn't heard any wolves howl for a long while. Whole world colored gold with the new light of the sunrise. I was exhausted. I tied myself to a tree limb. High in the canopy. Settling into a twined oak tree. Using the high juncture of two old trees cradle me in relative safety with my very last bit of cord. I opened up the lunch from Rutherford. There was more than enough for several meals. Which was good considering how far I was going to need to walk to get back to the castle. It might take me two days to get back.

I ate a quick meal, some bread with a fruit spread and cheese. Drank a fair bit of water and settled in to finally sleep a little bit before heading back to the castle. I had done it. I had outrun everyone and everything.My legs and arms were going to be worn out when I woke up. I was faster. Had been smarter. I reclined as well as I could in a tree. Feeling half smug as nearly every muscle in my body burned from overuse as I slipped into sleep and relaxed for the first time since yesterday when I had started to run from Rama to my room.

I awoke to the sun straight overhead. Gentle birdsong and the sounds of small mammals going about their business in the woods around me. I felt like I had been woken up by something. The entire world seemed peaceful right now though. I help my breath trying to listen for any subtle sound or threat. In the distance came a nearly hoarse voice calling my name. A long pause before I heard it again. I untied myself from the tree, climbed down, with all my remaining supplies. Eating a snack as I started to follow my own scent trail home. I had practised cloaking my scent from others until neither my mom or Aaron could find me. I could however always retrace my steps exactly.

It was the one skill that was only mine. Cats could mask their scent fairly well from other shifters, but also from themselves. Deer couldn't mask, mom had described it more as a link with the grass she ate in an area. It remembered if she had been there, could lead her, guide her according to the grass way. There was an extra connection to the earth she always had. Unfortunately, neither Hilda nor I were very interested in just eating grass, so the way of the grass wasn't going to reveal itself to me. Hilda and I were our own. I hadn't ever had that many chances to feel proud of what we were. 

Today I was glowing like the sun I was so proud of myself. Every muscle burned as I kept putting one foot in front of the other. Retracing my steps. I had been running so quickly, the distance between my small footprints was impressive. If you knew the exact path I had walked, and could find the small toe point indent in the thick greenery and grasses of the field. I had been good last night. I could be great at this. My trail and evidence of my passing was well concealed. Not bad for a city girl on her first run.

"Here" I finally called back when the voice sounded like I was close enough to the source to be heard. I immediately heard a return call of my name, the voice even more strained than before calling out again so soon.

"On my way. Just a minute." I shouted back. Louder than I thought I had ever been. I could smell Rama on the wind. His scent more musky on the breeze than it had been in the castle. He smelled of earth and herbs and man. It was calling to me differently colored by the shift. I found him, standing just ahead of me. The moment our eyes met, I could tell he wanted to come to me. Could see the strain in his body. He was literally locked in place unable to take another step. He hadn't lied to me.

I was in trouble. He had tied the shredded tatters of his cloak around his waist, a weird, black loincloth made from silk. Every muscle on his body was chiselled like a horny sculptor had been in charge. Rama was built like a god under his clothes. His skin rich and dark. Thick chest hair and a happy trail leading into his loincloth that I wanted to follow with my tongue. I didn't know thighs had as many muscles as I could see clearly defined on his body. I licked my lips, thirsty, and it wasn't for water. I was in big big trouble now.