18

I turned away, I was lost in my runaway fantasy. Feeling sluggish and overfed. These endless rounds of plates were too much for me. I was full by the fifth plate, Venison, with a sweet sauce and roasted potatoes. Too heavy considering how full I already was. I did my best to keep eating. I hated to waste food, especially when I knew real people were working hard to make the meals. I missed that the course had changed again. I might have missed an entire dish. Desert was in front of me. A blueberry grunt, soft biscuit dough cooked over top of simmering blueberries with honey and whipped cream. It was delicious.

Everyone was drinking a lot of the free flowing ale and wine. Except the King and I it seemed. The room had grown louder and louder. Rama wasn't mingling any longer. His gaze was locked on me. Feeling my cheeks flush under his eyes. I looked away. The gong rang again and everyone began to get up from the tables, making their way to the ballroom.

Rama rose before I moved, helping me to rise from my seat in the large ball gown. "I have dreamed of dancing with my mate for centuries." His voice so sincere. If he was my mate I would feel it instantly. That was how it always was. Everyone said they just knew the moment they met their mate. Fated or otherwise.

We were the last to enter the ballroom. Couples already doing elegant waltzes on one dance floor, another group doing more traditional line dancing with complicated choreography everyone was just supposed to know. "I don't know how to dance." I blurted out. I was going to make a fool of myself. Everyone would be paying attention to me which would be awful enough on its own, I had no ear for music, wooden all left feet, no rhythm. No talent in this area that would help me.

Rama smiled down at me. Not patronising, not mocking me for not having what has to be considered a pretty basic skill here. "Just follow my lead, I know the steps." We were at the edge of the waltz zone. Beautiful string music keeping time as the couples danced. Rama placed my hand on his shoulder, his other hand taking my free hand. His posture and form helping me try and mimic what I should be doing. His other hand, was on my waist. Holding me close, though not close enough for our bodies to touch. He counted out to steps and we took off onto the dance floor in a four count step. Flowing over the dance floor. I was able to follow Rama, he was doing an excellent job as lead.

"You will spin, in one two three." Rama moved and guided me as I did indeed, spin away from him still holding his hand. My skirts flaring wide that everyone might have seen that I was wearing sneakers. At the end of my spin, I did everything in reverse, spinning back into Rama's arms, immediately back into the dancing form. His hand back at my waist holding me close as the crowd cheered and applauded as the music stopped. Rama began to lean down as though he would kiss me. He paused, and instead ended our embrace and offered me his arm to leave the dance floor. Leaving my mind spinning out of control. I would have let him kiss me.

Shocking myself and Hilda at my realisation. Hilda remained adamant that he wasn't her mate. Rama was really trying to be the kind of man he thought I wanted. A small dais had been set up in the space between the two dance floors, able to oversee the large party. Rama led me there, real servants were finally seen bringing around refreshments for the guests. I enjoyed a fruity cocktail before switching to water.

Now that the hour was later, tongues were looser. Rama had a few last minute petitioners approach him, asking favours or advice or for his judgement. He never faltered. He had been on duty to the people the entire evening. While also managing to flirt with me. As well as eye fuck me the entire evening.

We were alone, the music was a soft gentle song letting the dancers all take a break. "Tell me true Avalon; Marrisa misled all the muses to help her get ready for tonight, how did you get the dress I had chosen for you, and who did your hair and makeup? You look radiant." His eyes doing another tour up and down my body. "Ravishing, truly. I approve of the choice of footwear, much more practical to run in." He said, a glitter in his eye.