31

I ran as long as I could. My muscles screaming out for me to stop running. My knees starting to buckle as I forced my body to keep going. I turned a corner, the next block was a square park. Wide open with swings, slides and other playground equipment. A well maintained walking path of gravel meandering just inside from the concrete. Letting people who lived nearby enjoy a path without concrete underfoot. It was a better park than I expected to find in my current area. The grass was green, with low gardens and young trees dotted around the walking track, wood and iron benches with small dedications . I started to walk towards the swings instead of the bench. Worried I would fall asleep on the bench. I needed to sit down. I needed to think of what I could do next. I needed to make right choice to stay safe.

The woman had been human, I was sure of that. She had barely seen me. She had no idea who I was, and couldn't track me. I had a moment to finally think. I didn't care what Rama said. I could get back to him. We were mates, Hilda and I would figure out a way. Thinking of Hilda, she has been unreasonably quiet. "Hilda?" I quested. She was there. Just small and quiet. 'I knew something was off, her deer didn't greet me. I just couldn't...' Hilda's feelings towards my parents had always been cloaked in mystery. She had stayed aloof. 

I "I know Hilda, I know." I hadn't panicked even after mom said she would eat meat. It just didn't seem possible that mom could really be gone. I wiped away a tear that threatened to fall. It was starting to get dark. So much earlier than it had in Newfoundland. I missed the long twilight. The quiet. The park was deserted, it still seemed so loud here. The noise of traffic on all sides, honks and squealing tires from the nearby large intersection. People walking and talking on their way home. So much noise. None of it soothing.

"I can't do anything with just a credit card except buy a change of clothes and some food." I thought to Hilda. I wouldn't be able to board a plane, rent a car. I could still take a bus. But wouldn't be able to cross into Canada. Even if I could get across the border without notice. I was by the wrong ocean. Rama was a world away. 'Do what you can then. Essentials and food.' Hilda reminded me

I got up and started to walk down a street that looked like it had a few more commercial options, I could also see more lights than any of the other street options around the park. I chose well, passing by small convenience stores, restaurants, and apartments. Turning the corner, there was an old fashioned family owned department style store. It looked old. I hoped It would have enough useful things on the shelves and that the credit card security would be as weak as I needed it to be.

I walked in. It wasn't very bright inside, the floor was stained by the door. Most of the tiles had deep scuffs and gouges etched into their surface, all scarred black with grime. I didn't see many employees, or customers. Creaking escalators zigzagged up the centre of the small, multilevel department store. The first level was a small grocery section. Low on fresh items, high on packaged, canned and frozen. I went up the escalator. Half certain the jerking machines underfoot would stall any second.

The next floor was clothing and shoes. Out of curiosity more than real hope of finding what I needed. I went to the third and final floor it was mostly home and kitchen items, things like throw pillows and shower curtains sprinkled with cheap dishes and small appliances. However there was a small section of outdoor gear. A single decent looking hiking bag was laid on top of a short shelf and enough supplies below that I felt I could do up a reasonable emergency tenting kit. I grabbed one of the two small tents from the shelf. Sleeping bag. Large water pack. A hand fishing line, one small cast iron skillet and a hunting knife that felt the most well balanced of the  poor options on the shelf.

On the second floor I grabbed sweat pants, a sweater, a rain proof coat, socks and the only underwear option available, bulk pack granny panties. None of the bras even looked worth picking up. Thankfully my chest wasn't overly large so hopefully my breasts would forgive me for letting them live free for a while. Lastly grabbing a package of what were intended to be undershirts, for a large boy, closest to my my size.

I had essentially overwhelmed the small grocery basket I had been using to collect my things. Nearly stumbling off the escalator. An older man came to me running, offering to hold my items at the register if I still needed to do more shopping. "That would be really nice, thank you." I demurred. Human. Everyone around me smelled like only humans. Cats thought they could hide, never from me though. 'From us Avalon.' Hilda reminded me.

I watched the older man carry my unbalanced overfull basket towards the registers. Going around the shelf stable options for a few things I could cook or eat with only a single pot. Last stopping by the fresh food section. Deciding a bag of apples was the safest option for making sure I got something other than salt and processed carbs in my life for the next little while. Trying to keep in mind that everything had to fit in the small hiking bag. I grabbed a bulk pack of lighters as my last purchase.

The cashier rang everything in with the old man watching the entire time with a smile on his face. Hilda pushed me, we had nothing to lose, I took a deep breath, trying to be calm. As I lied, "I need to pay my rent, could you make the transaction for more, so I can get some cash and I can pay my landlord?" I asked the cashier. Trying to sound young and even more vulnerable. 

They both nodded, vigorously. "Sure thing ma'am, how much do you need for rent?" The young woman said. Eager to help. I told her seven hundred. That was the most I dared to ask for. Ready to abandon everything and run every single second. On edge, looking for the first sign of a problem. I wouldn't be caught off guard again. 

The cashier, gave me another nod knowing nod, she took the card, swiped it and asked for my signature. I did my best to match the inconclusive scrawl on the back of the card. My forgery was accepted, and the cashier was kind enough to let me open and pack everything into my bag. Even offering to fill the water bottle in their kitchen for me. I thanked everyone, they had been perfect sales people. I had no idea what happened when someone used a stolen card at a store. I really hoped it wouldn't be bad for them after they had been so nice. 

With my now fully loaded and kitted out bag I left the store. Knowing my time with the card was limited. I now had cash. I had a few days worth of food and a safe, untraceable place to sleep. I exited the department store. Going in the first restaurant. It was empty save for me. The lone waitress sat me quickly and placed a menu in front of me. Full of Cantonese dishes. My mouth watered. I ordered a noodle bowl with beef and ginger. House salad and steamed dumplings. The food came out quickly. I was starving. It all tasted better than anything I had ever eaten. I left a cash tip that was maybe bigger than I should have after paying with my stolen card. Last I stopped in a health food store and purchased as many protein and meal replacement bars as would fit in my bag.

I had done all I could. My last supply stop was at a gas station near the end of city limits. I had been walking for so long. Picking up a road map of the state and a suspect hotdog from a roller cooker, upsizing to meal with nachos on the side. The kind with oozy cheese sauce that managed to be almost a non-newtonian liquid. Rounding out my purchase with more cola than any human should drink at once in a flimsy Styrofoam cup. Adding in a few chocolate bars at the last minute. Packing them in an outer pocket. 

Sitting down on the curb outside to inhale the food meal and the entirety of the drink. Throwing away the containers in the already overflowing trash can outside the gas station, along with the stolen credit card. Starting to plan my route to first cross the border into Canada, then to get back to Rama. The only place left that my heart could call home was with him.