12

After an entire lifetime of always considering that ten minutes early was already late for something. Always hearing my mom's voice in my head. Don't be late, don't be loud, don't make waves. Just blend in Avalon. I looked at the clock one last time. I was going to be late if I didn't pick something soon.

My mind kept wandering back to how mom kept trying to make me smaller than I am while growing up. Especially after dad had left. Mom had moved us around a few times. Paying to move the landline number with us every time in case he tried to call and find us. Hilda made a sound, one I didn't know the meaning of. Whatever the noise she made was it made the constant dull headache I had throb worse. 'The plan is to get clothes, food and run Avalon, don't forget.' Hilda reminded me. Interrupting my thoughts of the past when I should be focusing on just getting dressed. What I wore didn't matter.

I rushed to grab the finishing touches on my outfit. I was trying to blend a practical summer dress with something that could only be modern from the closet. Instead, I had found a soft bleached white linen dress that I was reasonably certain was intended to be undergarments in the fashion this castle adhered to. I liked the simple bodice that looked almost like a wrap dress, gathered and nipped in at the waist with subtle draping flowing into a skirt that would be easy to move in. Then I had gotten distracted by the accessories around a corner I hadn't seen from the entrance.

There were dozens of mannequin busts, and heads and full bodies wearing harnesses, chains, belts. There were ornate and exaggerated shoulder pads along with head gear that wasn't quite a crown or a hat, instead something far more extravagant and bold. There was a set of deep green body harnesses, small saddle bags built in on the straps over the thigh, Another along one side and a large pouch on the back. There were clips and slots to store other things. Very video game Lara Croft. Less guns though.

Once I had finally picked underwear from the creepy pile of them that seemed to have been waiting just for me. Then picked a dress, then gawked at everything in this closet. I was out of time as I strapped the final buckle of the body harness that turned my sweet white summer dress into an outfit with a much different mood.

I hadn't done anything with my hair. All I had done to get ready was bathe, moisturise, and barely get dressed. I didn't even have shoes yet. Or accessories. "Shit." I said, before I thought to stop myself, "Just a second!" I yelled after hearing a knock. Trying to look at shoes to decide quickly, I wanted something I could run in, but there were only heels as I ran towards the wall of shoes.

"Madam, I am terribly sorry; I must insist that we leave for dinner now, his Lordship will not tolerate being kept waiting." I looked in one of the many mirrors around the seating area at the start of the room. Well I had wanted to look shockingly out of place for the aesthetic of the castle. Underwear, with a harness and literally nothing else was good enough to be my first rebellion. I wiggled my toes in the carpets. At least it was summer. These floors would be unbearable in winter, especially this far north. Maybe I could even slip a dinner knife into one of my new pockets before it was time to flee tonight.

I left the antechamber. Rutherford was about how I imagined from Hilda's description. Though I did not think his linen and tweed suit looked like anything I would ever wear. He looked at my less than ideal outfit choice with an eyebrow twitch and nothing more as a reaction. If the tips of each eyebrow weren't so long I might have missed the quick movement.

"Follow me Madam." He said, as though I really had a choice. I followed behind, Hilda had not done this place justice in her description. She did not appreciate the effort behind building something like this castle. Even if this was all made with modern tools and electricity that I could see no sign of; it would have taken hours of effort to finish all the details I could see in just one column supporting the upper floor.

"May I ask your name so I may announce your entrance?" Rutherford asked me, with a tone that implied he might have asked once or twice already before I heard him.

"Sorry, I've never been anywhere like this, I was distracted. Umm." Hilda was telling me not to say my name, and definitely not her name. "My name is Avalon." Just my first name. Hardly any information at all, and only the rudest of people would ask if your animal had a name or what it was.

"Lady Avalon, any further title or family name to add?" No! Bellowed Hilda in my head so hard it rang in my ears.

"Avalon is all thanks." I said. Getting distracted by a painting of a dark forest only lit by a full moon high in the yard. Rutherford cleared his throat and I did a couple rushed skipping steps to catch up. "Sorry." I said again. I was going to blame the fact that I had certainly hit my face and head off at least two trees as to why I was letting myself get caught up by my surroundings.

I at least understood why Rutherford said we had to go immediately. It felt like I had walked down corridor after corridor before we finally stopped in front of another set of enormous double doors. I only had a moment to try and study the carved doors, it looked like maybe some kind of story was told over the panels.

The doors opened before we would have had to stop. A dining room as large or bigger than most churches I had ever seen was revealed with the high vaulted ceilings making the space seem endless. There was only a single long dining table. Set for just two. Someone already sat at the head, and one single empty chair was waiting beside him.