16

“Ok, so care to be the first to tell me what the hell is happening today?” I was out of patience.

She smiled at me, a smile that was not warm or friendly in any way. “The physician is already on his way to come, and ensure your health, fertility, and virginity for his lordship's pleasure.” Marissa managed to say with a straight face. I looked at her, waiting for the punchline. This had to be a joke. There was a joke coming.

She continued to look at me, that bitchy, smug look on her face. I couldn’t help it. I burst out laughing. Bent over at my waist. Hands on my knees laughing until I could barely breathe. Tears leaked from my eyes being scrunched for so long as I laughed hard.

Of everything I had experienced, this was finally a bridge too far. “I’m almost twenty five?” I said to her, I know I looked young, but surely if his lordship was going to coronate and mate me then everyone knew I was an adult right. I looked at Marissa, she looked confused now too. I took a deep breath, to keep talking. Still waiting for a joke that didn’t seem to be coming.”I lived with my ex boyfriend. Of course I'm not a virgin.” Hilda’s rage burned white hot a moment, one I didn’t get under control because it was too close to how I really felt. Snarling ”If Virgin is what his fucking pervy Lordship is after then just let me go because that ship has long since sailed.” I managed to choke out. Hilda’s mood back under control. Standing on wobbly knees. Wiping the tear from my eyes. I held up a single finger, and went and sat down in the seating area near the window.

I was tired. More tired than I thought I should be. “You were born on the mortal side, it’s going to be hard to be here until you are part of here.” Marissa said. Less gloating to her tone now. She looked at me, seriously.“You are truly that old?” She looked at me with that face. The one I got far too often. I was short not a child. She must have seen something in the look I shot her, that convinced her I was as old as I was. From her own admission she had to have been from a time close to the 1900’s give or take a decade. A time when women still had to be submissive and virgin brides as teenagers. “Then you must pretend to be a virgin or he will reject you as a fit consort for him.”

Marissa suddenly looked worried. Worried on my behalf. “Yea, not happening. You can run along and tell your lordship he is close to a decade too late. Virgin does not apply anywhere in anyway.” I smirked at her. As she paled at my rather chaste vulgarity.

“Oh you really are the one to break everything aren’t you?” Marissa said. Surprising me, knocking me off my very precarious balance.

“Uhhh no? I am hopefully the one that manages to sneak out of here today, never to be seen again.” The tides had turned, and now she was one giving me the pitying look I had given her a moment ago when I figured out she was the jilted lover. I did not like that development one bit.

“Just to be clear, you Lady Avalon, are rejecting the inspection, because you admit to knowing carnal pleasure with a man?” Marissa said, looking at me with something closer to awe than any other emotion I could name. Oh I did not like this. I wasn’t doing this right. I knew I was making a mistake when my answer ran from my lips before my brain could stop my tongue and lips.

“Men and women.” I said. My subconscious just stirring up trouble I didn’t need. Memories I didn’t want to remember.

Good job keeping her off balance Avalon.’ Hilda randomly interjected like a cheerleader. Distracting me from my train of thought. Marissa was looked nearly sick now.

“I’ll go tell him, you should still keep getting ready like you are getting married or going to your debutant ball. Whichever puts you in a bigger, ball gown tonight. He might reject you, but keeping him waiting, well he has murdered for less.” Marissa said. Bouncing out of my room. The door locking the instant it had shut.

I shrugged. It was time to get ready for a ball, and to tell any physician or anyone else who came near me to fuck right off. I had everything a girl could dream of in that enormous closest, I was going to turn myself into a proper fairy tale princess tonight. Part fantasy and part practical. If I seemed like I was mostly behaving maybe someone would get lax on watching me or locking doors. If I went to the ball I would get to see more of the castle, I could talk to people. Look for ways to escape when the time was right.

Smiling as I headed towards my enormous dressing room. I had a dress in mind, and I had a feeling exactly what I wanted was going to be available. I went immediately to the racks of large ball gowns, the fewest hangers on each section of rack to accommodate the volume of the dresses contained in the clear dress bags. The dress I found was more of a muted champagne color than vibrant gold. It would have to do. The moment my mind decided I wanted a bath to get ready for the farce of a ball I was getting ready for. The carved wooden tub with its magical heat rocks was filled and ready. Rose and Jasmine strong in the air the moment the tub was ready.

I truly hated how nice it smelled. How everything I wanted, except an exit and obvious weapons were always easily had. I imagined I was hungry, and a small cheese and pastry platter instantly appeared beside me. I could only shrug. Reaching for a filled pastry horn. It was perfect in every way.

I had gone to prom with Aaron, mostly for mom. She had been prom queen, she had dated the football star of her highschool. Before she had met- I skipped past bad memories. I didn’t have time for that tonight. Mom wanted Aaron and I to have a nice prom experience, she was reliving happy memories through us. She had made my dress for me, and rented Aaron’s tux for him, had taken every picture that night. Even with how everything had turned out. I was glad for these memories. Aaron was my past. Rama and this maze was my present jailer. Me being happy and free was my future.

I finished my bath. I was scrubbed, shaved, loofaed and clean from head to toe. I took my time afterwards,  moisturizing my skin with creams that smelled good enough to eat. I tried to feign skills I didn’t really have and  pin, twist and braid my long hair into an artful arrangement. Because I did all the styling while it was still wet, and sprayed it down with a vintage can of aquanet, my hair was smooth and elegant. Like a dang beauty queen. It wasn’t moving an inch tonight.

No one interrupted me. Lunch was another buffet in between getting ready. Marissa nor Rutherford came back. I pulled on my converse sneakers, champagne, sparkled, tulle layered ball gown. With a rather demure sweetheart neckline and off the shoulder draping sleeves. The best impersonation of Belle’s golden ball gown from Beauty and the Beast. I had a feeling my not very subtle reference would still be missed in my current surroundings.

I was fully ready, every last pin, brush of makeup, and hair in place. I looked radiant. Flawless. I was a modern day princess sat on my bed waiting for someone to unlock the stupid door. I saw brightly dressed women and men start to flock towards the castle in pairs and small groups. As I sat on my bed, waiting for someone to come and let me out of my cage.

Except. No one was coming. The courtyard was empty, nearly everyone already in a ball room somewhere in the castle. So far away I could hear nothing. I remained sat on the bed waiting. A nervous feeling I didn’t understand growing in my belly.

What if I had gotten ready, and no one was going to come and pick me up? I realized that I had truly been excited to go, now the worry of being all dressed up and spending the night locked in this room was nearly unbearable. Hilda was silent. The ball was too human. She did not like the smell of the hair products, or the number of pins holding my hair in place. She hated the beautiful ball gown that was impractical in every possible way. She did approve of the sneakers I had on under the dress instead of the heels.