20

I wasn't sure exactly what to do with everything that happened. Everything that I learned. I did know that I wanted another hot bath to sit and soak in while it all percolated through my mind. I needed time.

The magical tub, filled when I approached it wrapped in a new dressing gown that had been folded on the bedside table waiting for me when I awoke from endless bad dreams. The smell of rose heavy and thick in the air from the oils and bath salts the tub seemed to automatically include as it filled.

I undressed and slipped into the perfect temperature bath. A sigh escaping my lips as I lowered my whole body into the water. Dunking low enough that my lips were underwater, blowing a few bubbles before submerging my whole face underneath the surface. Letting the water make everything quiet for just a few seconds.

I opened my eyes as I came up, to see a very startled Rutherford looking at me. Looking as caught off guard to see me as I was to see him. He jumped nearly to the ceiling, turning around in an instant. Not before I saw his whole face flush the brightest red I had ever seen skin go. "Madom, Lady, My lady. Oh bother. I am dreadfully sorry." He was stammering, and sounded more uncomfortable than I did. Visibly shaking from head to toe.

"You saw me under the water in the tub and panicked?" I offered, I knew what I must have looked like. Considering recent events, I couldn't blame Rutherford for getting scared, not when I had scared mom the same way countless times over the years. I saw him nod his head at my words.

"Lady Avalon forgive me. You aren't the first consort of his highness I have served. I. Well you see. The situations have been complicated." He was stammering, I wasn't the only one with memories better left in the past it seemed. Making me feel bad for him if he really did find someone underwater in a tub who didn't come back. I just wanted the quiet for a minute.

"Its ok. I'm sorry I frightened you." Sincerely sorry, I didn't ever meant to scare anyone. Staying low in the tub, mostly concealed I figured in the screened off bathing area. I saw his shoulders relax. "Really, I know you were only worried for me." I saw his shoulders straighten. He looked like himself again. If still a little more tense. "Was there a message? Or something you were supposed to tell me?" He seemed to be the kings butler, messenger boy, head house keeper, and probably more titles I couldn't even think of. My knowledge of human history and castle life lacking. I liked nature. Human history in ecology was mostly about how many mistakes humans had made trying to twist nature to human desires.

History, historical dramas, anything that had women unable to own a bank account or had to wear an outfit she couldn't reasonably run in was not for me. I had never liked the stiff professional wardrobe I had been wearing for my job. To try and get ahead. I hated the clothes. I hated living in the city. Rutherford had been stammering, apologies, trying to get to the point of his visit while I had been lost in thought. "His lordship requests that you join him for lunch in an hour? Factually More like fifty minutes now, my lady?" He finally managed to say.

I considered the offer. I had a few questions I still needed answered. As well as Aaron. I wanted him to be ok. I wanted him far away, and no longer thinking of me. I had no idea how to get that to happen. Having dinner with the still mysterious lord of this castle couldn't hurt my future prospects at this point. I was nodding before my mouth started to work again, "Yes. I accept the invitation," That sounded formal and right. I was guessing at everything at this point. "There's no more secret outfit challenges right? I can just get dressed?" I asked. Unsure if I was going to get an honest answer.

"He has already claimed you as his one true mate and crowned you as Queen. There are no more challenges to complete. No more contests to win." Rutherford said, walking to the door without ever even turning his head slightly back towards me. At the door he politely reminded me that I had just more than forty five minutes left to dinner. Closing the door loudly to let me know he was gone.

I exited the tub. Enjoying the plush soft bath towel that was on the side table just when I needed one to appear. I rang my hair out, twisting the long lengths into a tighter and tighter twist. I got dressed in a loose mens cut button up, the riding pants I liked and fur lined slippers. That dining room floor was cold without any carpets. I looked in the mirror, and felt plain. I quickly looked through the accessories that were neatly organised. Avoiding everything that looked like a crown of tiara. The Lacey crown from last night I left on the dressing table.

Among various hair clips, combs and adornments, there was a simple metal headband with dainty nightshade flowers woven with vines of ivy leaves. I slipped the headband on. It was simple, but well made, and detailed enough that I could recognise the flora. Using it to keep my hair pushed back and away from my face. Giving my still damp hair something closer to a style. Which was the last choice I had time for as Rutherford knocked on the door. I was ready this time at least.

Another twitch of his eyebrow when he saw my outfit. "What?" I asked him. I was told there weren't anymore games I had not agreed to play. If he had lied I would not be very happy.

"Nothing my lady, it's just." He paused, carefully considering and choosing his words. "You are most unlike all the previous guests." A flush as he rushed his words. "Not that there have been many, mind you. Of course." He said, I nodded as he dabbed a handkerchief across his brow. Knowing my luck the pants could have belonged to equestrian hero princess Sisi of Hungary and it signified I was a great ride.

The walk to the dining room didn't seem as long the second time. I felt like I had barely gathered my thoughts. This was a business lunch now, I wanted things, and I knew what the King of this castle wanted. It was time to negotiate.

Everything was so like the last time I was here, except the light filled the space making it almost warm and inviting in the cavernous dining room. Rama was seated, the table, two chairs, everything so much like the first night. Rutherford introduced me. "Lady Avalon." I smiled as I walked in my pants. I wasn't quite what the castle based romance books I had read designed their heroines to be like. Lady Avalon did not feel like me. I always only ever wanted to be me.