23

"I don't want to leave-" His smile was radiant, eyes looking at me far too intensely for someone who had just met me. "Yet. I don't want to leave yet. I'll give this a chance." Hilda, mate or not mate? I thought I would know when it was the right person. The way Rama is looking at me is just like- 'You don't know because I don't know Avalon.' Hilda interrupted. 'Maybe we really do need to agree before we can feel it.' Hilda was just as distressed as I was. 

"Not yet is an excellent start. Come, we should go prepare for tonight." Rama said, starting to pull me towards the castle. I pulled my hand out of his.

"What's tonight?" Something had shifted when I agreed to stay for a moment. 

"The feast of the Full Moon. The local wolves and shifters celebrate the night before a full moon rises and their inner beasts take over." Rama explained. Giving me details on the feast and celebration for tonight.

"I won't be running in the hunt." I protested as I was led back to the castle. Rama ignored or didn't hear me.

Rama came into my room, dragging me by the hand. Ignoring how I said I wasn't running.  "Tonight is less formal, one of these gowns would be appropriate, a rainbow of dresses were arranged on a rack. "I would like it if you could keep your hair as is, you look beautiful Avalon." I felt my cheeks blush. He smiled at my reaction. Hilda was bristling at being told what we should wear and how to style ourselves. I felt like I was caught in an undertow of other people's emotions.

Rama brought my hand to his lips as he bowed low "I will return shortly to escort you to the feast." Then he was gone. My door wide open. Hilda was telling me this was our chance. We could really run for home now. The only problem was I didn't want to run. I really did want to give him a chance.

I chose a midnight blue gown, demure boat neckline, floor length and fitted sleeves, with a fairly modern open back. I took my time applying makeup. Leaving my hair as it was. Not because Rama had asked me too, but because I liked my hair, it had dried and fallen with soft natural waves today. Rarely did my hair cooperate so well, I didn't want to upset whatever magic had caused one of my best hair days ever.

Just as I slipped glittering golden drop earrings on. There was a knock on my door. Rama arrived, looking just as dapper and handsome as he had last night. With an offer of his arm, I was led to the dining room. Rama exhibited various paintings and statues we passed.

I realised he was walking instead of teleporting just to spend more time with me. I smiled. Even if Rama wasn't my mate, he was handsome, and smelled good and was trying to be a man I could care about. It would be a lie to try and say I wasn't enjoying his attention. 

The evening's feast was similar to last night, except the wolves were even more rowdy. More alcohol was consumed. You could feel the buzz and pull of the moon in the air. Stronger than I had ever felt it. The wolves would be near feral tomorrow.

Aside from the reduction in formality and increased revelry, the feast was very similar to the coronation. I made small talk, tried to not react to the rude jokes about the mating hunt tomorrow. I was tired when Rama finally offered his arm to escort me to my room. 

Again Rama was formal, wishing me goodnight without so much as a goodnight kiss. Telling me would call on me after I broke my fast. I undressed, washed my face and set the golden headband next to my crown. Pulling on a new nightgown. I went to bed, nightmares of monsters crawling out from under beds. Coming after my mother and I, tearing us apart plagued me the whole night.

I awoke the next morning unrested. Dark bags under my eyes as I stumbled to the waiting breakfast. A note from Rama waiting.

Avalon,

My attention was needed elsewhere this morning. I will return mid-afternoon. I have asked Rutherford to escort you to the library for entertainment until my return.

While you are free to explore as you will, the call of the full moon will already be affecting the locals, I recommend staying inside.

Warmest regards, 

Rama

Interesting. I was deeply curious what could have pulled Rama away from his castle. With a shrug I sat down to eat, before washing my face and freshening myself up. I changed into loose linen pants and a soft light knit top. Doing my hair up in a single simple braid. 

Rutherford knocked just as I finished knitting the thread securing my braid. Rutherford greeted me and led me in a new direction. The view out the windows showed a lot of busy people, boarding up windows and doors ahead of tonight. 

"Lady Avalon, welcome to the library, I am sorry that I too must leave you  unattended." Rutherford gestured towards a small bell on the wall. "If you require anything, simply ring the bell my lady." Then I watched as Rutherford took off at a more than brisk trot back down the hall.

'Avalon, the hunt is tonight. You need to run or you are going at worst be raped by wolves and Rama all night or worse end up mated and claimed.' Hilda pressed. Trying to take control and start running.

"None of that is going to be happening." I said confidently. "I told Rama I would give him a chance. I'll be perfectly fine locked in my room while everyone who wants to run, runs."  I made my way to the library card catalogue. Rama had given my mother a title when he formally introduced me to his people. Mom didn't ever tell me much about her herd or family. If they didn't love her family, then they weren't her herd. 

I found a reference in a history book and spent my time hunting down information and books. Curling up on a couch to read more about my mom and the traditions she had left behind when she mated my father.