36

"Avalon, apologies for my rudeness. I thought it more prudent to ensure your heart kept beating and your lifesblood stayed in your veins." she looked at Hilda's form, right into her eyes like she could see me hidden inside. "Shift!" Artemis commanded, and for the first time I could remember, I was subjected to another's will as Hilda's bones popped and muscles rearranged. Leaving me standing naked and exposed in the woods.

I moved to cover myself. Hearing Artemis click her tongue like she was disappointed. She glides down from her mount, patting the beast's snout and thanking him for carrying her. With a flick of her wrist a length of soft mossy green coloured linen appeared in her hand. Artemis, goddess of the hunt, myth made flesh walked towards me, humming softly when she was within an arms length. "Arms up!" She commanded with a cheerful voice and I found myself doing as she asked. Then being swathed in an elegantly wrapped and artfully draped toga. Artemis taking a large broach from her pocket to finish pinning the shoulder in place. The image of her golden stag with embossed into the surface.

"There, much better " Artemis smiled and nodded towards me, pleased with her work. To her credit the wrapped fabric felt secure and I was covered. I had to imagine she might have had quite a bit of time to get the skill perfected.

"Thank you" my voice quiet as I looked at the ground. I had no idea how to address a god, let alone one who was now moving her hands through my hair. Untangling my long hair with her fingers, separating the locks. Twisting an elaborate braid in hair for me. I felt terrible, my hair was dirty, greasy and full of sweat.

A slender finger was just touched under my chin. Raising my eyes upwards as she tied the tail of the heavy Dutch braid with a golden colored thread. "Queens don't look down, Avalon. Everything else you already know." Artemis smiled at me.

I had no idea what she was talking about. I didn't know anything at all in this moment. I was lost and adrift. "I'm not a queen?" Was the too simple answer I spoke instead. I didn't feel like a queen. Rama might have crowned me as his queen, what did that mean when he said I wouldn't ever be able to make it back to him. My plan was a failure. Tears welled up in my eyes.

A slender, elegant hand that seemed to glow slightly reached forward and touched my shoulder. Her eyes were a crystal blue color, How Artemis was looking at me reminded me of my mother and her loving brown eyes. Artemis made a soft shushing sound before she spoke, "I did not get Selene in the biggest mood she's had for centuries to not ensure my return was marked with success. I did not foresee the depth of evil that a modern darkened coven could wrought." Her tone was soft, gentle. Gentle couldn't hide how her words affected me.

"Your plan?" Artemis was taking me by the hand, leading me to her golden Stag. Without answering me or warning I was hoisted to sit on the shoulders of the great beast, Artemis artfully sliding behind me. I wavered as the stag began to move. Artemis held me secure as the stag began to move faster and faster until the trees were only smears of color tearing past my peripheral vision while I clutched at the Stags fur.

Artemis was talking behind me as the world was a blur around us. "I was not the planner. I have changed my nature, and so my purpose has changed. I am embracing my new hunt. Selene holds grudges far too long, she needed a push to change. Rama has more than paid penance." I could feel Hilda prowling in my head. She was truly unsettled where I was hanging on every word. 'Avalon, I-' Hilda stopped as Artemis leaned forward, softly whispering in my ear as Hilda tried to be small in my mind. "Hildegard faithfully served gods long after their names and temples were destroyed in another realm. The last Hybrid spirit, who traded many gifts for a chance to live a life bound to a mortal." Artemis leaned back. As though she knew Hilda needed a moment.

'I'm sorry, I didn't know you. I only knew I could only have a chance in this world paired to someone who was balanced." Peaceful grazer, Doe priestess of the passive way of the grass religion, mated to a puma shifter. A pale blonde haired mother and dark skinned father. They had always joked I was a perfect blend of the two of them. The best of every world. I thought that was just the kind of thing all only children hear from their parents.