22

Mom,

Something went wrong with the satellite phone, it wont connect anymore. I had to courier a letter to you because I had to go directly from my hike to the field station. I have a panic button for emergencies and someone comes every few days with supplies and anything else I might need. It's only for a few weeks. I'll write often and see if there is another phone available.

Whatever happened with Aaron. It's not my business, I'm sure I have a real mate, I'm going to wait for them. Don't worry mom. Everything is going to be ok. I have a good feeling about everything right now. I will talk to you soon. I miss you. Please don't worry about me. 

Love Avalon

I looked at the uneven, messy handwriting. At least mom would be certain this really was a letter from me. I hated lying to her. Even knowing she had been lying to me about what had happened to dad, to Talik. I understood she had done it to protect me. I was doing this to protect her just the same. Besides, I was supposed to be off the grid for several more weeks anyways. Where I was hiding didn't matter that much in the grand scheme of everything.

I handed the small letter to Rama, who expertly folded and rolled the letter up, sliding it into a waiting holster on the leg of a raven who appeared at the window the moment I had handed over the letter. "Icarus needs your mother's address, mailing is good, then descriptions of some windows, or curtains. What floor if applicable. Any detail will assist him." Rama said, as the raven studied me, just as hard as I was studying him.

I gave the address like I would for a mailing address, then struggled to think. "There are yellow and white chevron curtains in the window of the kitchen. The bathroom window is smaller, but full of small succulents in little cups and dishes. Two bedrooms, one bedroom has no curtains and looks like a storage room and a sewing room inside, the other has sheer lavender curtains. Third floor. Our windows only look across the alley to the building on the left if yours looking at the entrance from the street." The raven nodded once and flew away.

I had already picked a practical outfit. No need to change. Rama was at my side, sliding the chair out, his hand to help me up from the desk. "Thank you. Gardens? I'd love to see them up close." I would, there seemed to be two different gardens in the yard, one for food production and one for beauty. Both interested me, not nearly as much as the thought of spending more time with Rama.

During the walk, several people came up to Rama to ask his opinion of various issues from interpersonal struggles, to hunting issues, to how to best plan to rotate the crops for next year. He had flawless manners, with everyone. He would politely let me know he needed a moment, turning to greet whoever had come towards us. He was calm, and confident without being arrogant. This wasn't him trying to put on a show or act how he thought he should for me, the long. This was how he had been managing his kingdom.

I still had so many questions. We were walking through a twisting oath of low cut hedges, set up like a labyrinth. Not a maze, just an easy circling path created for someone to stroll and think in. A perfect location to start getting answers from my secretive host. "Can you tell me more about the castle? Why you are hidden here?" I gnawed my lower lip, worrying it between my teeth. "Why you are offering grant money for people to come research the caribou?" I had intended to start slow. One question at a time. My mouth ran ahead of my brain.

A raven flew up, landed on Rama's shoulder. Leaned into his ear. I watched fascinated as Rama gently scratched the bird under its beak before flying off. "We will have plenty of time to answer all your questions Avalon, here. Come look." He offered his hand, I placed mine in his as he lead me to a small pond with brightly coloured goldfish swimming happily.

Rama waved his hand over the pool, the water turned cloudy before changing. Like a watery tv screen. I gasped as I saw Aaron. He was getting off a transit bus, at a station I didn't recognise. I smelled burnt hazelnuts in the air a second before a man and woman appeared in front of us. "My Lord, the mortal has arrived at his destination. His trip here will seem as though a dream while the lie of how he arrived in Nevada will become his truth. He believes after his mate died, he tried to go to Avalon, her mother said she was gone and to not seek her. He left town and is now looking to start again. There is a cat shifter settlement in this town, they will surely take in a young, healthy, technically unmated tiger male." It was the woman who spoke, the man silently looking at her with adoring eyes.

"Thank you as always for your dedicated work. I know having Vincent in the sun is draining for both of you regardless of the suncharm, please go rest and know I am deeply grateful for your service." Rama sounded so stiff and formal.

"It is always our pleasure to serve my Lord." They bowed their heads towards Rama, the woman glanced at me with an unnerving look in her eye. I feel a warm oozy feeling creeping along my skin. Making me feel flushed. Another burst of burnt nutty smell in the air and the two were gone.

"What were they? Can you magic pool creep on anyone? Was that, I mean is well, is Aaron really ok now?" I was overwhelmed. I was a woman of science, seeing pools turn into windows showing far away places, people popping in and out of my view, on top of the hidden castle, and staggeringly handsome lord who said he was my mate was a lot of not scientifically possible things to cope with.

"They were Manna, a succubus and her vampire Vincent." Rama led me to a bench, where I realised I did need to sit down."They have served me together for several centuries, mostly returning mortals back to their true paths, Manna has a gift." I mulled over his words. "Aaron is back among the mortal world. He and his beast have dreamed of giving you up, starting fresh. May the divine spirits see fit to grant him a second chance." Rama announced with formality behind his words. As though this was a prayer he had said many times over the years.

Rama waved his hand over the pool, I didn't have as good a view from the bench, until another flick of Rama's hand and a swell rose up, giving me a clear view of my mother in her apartment. The entire house looked spotless. I could almost smell and taste the cleaning products. Mom was on her stepladder, cleaning the light on the kitchen ceiling. Her lips held in a tight line. Her eyes looked dark, and her hair looked unwashed. "She's worried about me." Guilt pulling at my heart.

"Your letter should reach her tomorrow." Rama said, his voice tighter in his throat like he was worried. He waved his hand and the swell melted back down into the pond. Rama took both my hands in his, facing me, looking deep into my eyes. My heart raced as our eyes met.

"I am bound to stay until my curse has run its course. I can not leave the Castle. grounds" His eyes studied my face, I felt Hilda press forward to look at him up close. "I can return you to your mother, I will pay the full fee for the research term, and extra to provide for you, to ensure your comfort. I can return you to your life among the mortals." A long pause. "If that is what you desire, lady Avalon." I could see the worry in his face, he was pained to think of my possible departure. I was too now.