14

"Kaycee, I'm not gonna let you fall. Just trust me!" Sean laughed as he held his arms out for her. Kaycee reluctantly let go of the wall then nearly leapt into her boyfriend's arms to secure herself.

"It's not hard, Rice, it just takes practice." Tahani stated, making her way over to the couple effortlessly. In the last week that passed, Kaycee decided it'd be fun to get all of their friends together and hang out for a day since everyone had such busy schedules. Aside from meeting her parents and staying for the majority of the next day, Sean and Kaycee were both busy.

Even the following weekend, they barely interacted other than their normal "good morning" and "good night" texts. It began to seem like the weather synced with their moods. The clouds were dark and heavy, yet it never rained. The sun was quickly blocked by the gloominess. Even the streets they drove or walked down suddenly seemed blight.

When Kaycee came to Sean about the idea, he was initially thrilled to see her, but also in awe of the fact she wanted to bring everyone together. Even if it wasn't meant to come off this way, he felt honored that his girlfriend wanted to blend their separate lives in some form. All but one of Sean's close friends were able to come except for one since he'd have to work until later in their hangout. Besides that, Sean had been thrilled to conjoin their separate lives.

One thing Kaycee didn't love about this idea was that when she asked everyone what activity they were up for, ice skating was the first thing to come to mind. It wasn't expensive and they all found it quite fun. Well, everyone except Kaycee, who basically knew how to do nothing on wheels but drive. With that being said, she definitely didn't know how to ice skate either.

"Tahani's right. Don't be scared, I'm gonna hold onto you every bit of the way." Sean reassured her before kissing her on the cheek. She grasped his arms tightly as he began to direct her with how to move her feet and keep her balance. They'd agreed if Kaycee could skate to the other wall and back that he would buy her ice cream, which instantly gave the woman the willpower.

On the other side of the rink there was Bailey and Sam teaching Julian how to skate. Having one of his best friends and the woman he was seeing laugh over his failure of what seemed to be a basic human ability was not his favorite scenario.

"Sean! You're gonna let me go just when I get the hang of it like some child on a bike!" Kaycee exclaimed with a slight whine and crossed arms. He huffed and tried his best not to laugh in her face as he saw the genuine fear in her eyes. "Tahani, can you give us a sec?" Sean asked. She nodded and skated off, twirling over to their group of friends.

Sean turned back to the woman clung to him, now cupping her rosy cheeks. "Listen, I know you're scared but I promise I'll hold your hand the entire way." He said, leaning his forehead on hers.

"You've been making a lot of promises lately." Kaycee muttered, taking note of his statement.

He was caught off guard by her withdrawn tone, furrowed eyebrows settling on his face in confusion. "What's that supposed to mean? I'm not understanding the problem."

"You've just been making them lately. It makes me wonder if you'll keep them." She shrugged, leaning against the wall she clung to in order to steady herself. Sean felt a pang in his chest but put it aside to focus on what was at hand.

"You don't think I will?" He asked, looking into her eyes. He didn't understand where this was coming from. It was supposed to be a carefree day. "I didn't say that." Kaycee shrugged.

"You implied it." He shot back at her. Her exterior softened as she saw the hurt in her boyfriend's eyes. She instantly wanted to take back every word she said within the past two minutes. "Look, I'm sorry. I don't want to pick a fight. It was just an observation. I don't think you'd play with my trust like that. It's my fault." Kaycee apologized, letting her hands grab his.