Chapter 9

You back away from the door quickly, your eyes meeting Winston's, and he still kept his finger against his lips, 'quiet', he whispered as he stood near his desk. You do as you're told but you keep your eyes on the door. The man was loud, to the point that you didn't even have to get close to the door to understand him.

'Out of my fucking way John, I need to get to her'.

You hear John's deep, smooth voice.

'You know I can't do that Franko. And you can't hurt anyone here'.

'You think I don't fucking know that!? I just wanna have a little word with that little flee bag'.

'Scurve. I'm warning you'.

You find it frightening the fact that Wick's tone hadn't really changed as he spoke to the man.

'Come on John, it's not like I'm going to hurt her'.

'Leave, now'.

You can't tell me what to do. Only Winston can!'

You hear Winston sigh before motioning you to hide in one of the corners, 'I'll be right back', he sighs once more before pulling out a key, stepping out of the room and locking the door behind him.
You stand in the corner for god-knows how long before Winston returns. He leaves the door open, 'you can leave now, but go straight to Marcus and John'.

'Where's the guy?'

'No longer here- we didn't kill him, that's not allowed in The Continental'.

'Oh, great to know. Usually that's not allowed anywhere'.

The man chuckled, 'exactly, but that's why we have the clean up crew'.

'I'm sorry the-'.

'You shouldn't leave the boys waiting'.

You're a little put off by how calm he was, but you weren't going to question him.
John and Marcus were in the lobby once more, their attention turned to you the moment you joined them.

'Was that... Him?'

'Don't worry, he's not going to hurt you, but you need to stick by us'.

'I mean, I'm still going to worry'.

'I wouldn't doubt it'.

'How bad was it?'

The silence the men were giving you was enough to tell you that he was someone you shouldn't come across.

'So... How're you going to wipe this guy out? I feel like he's a very smart guy'.

John smirked- for the first time ever- before looking at the door, 'if he was smart, then he would have found you a long time ago'.

True.

But your heart began to race when you realize what kind of danger you were actually in when you living with Marcus. You were practically living on the edge.
You notice other people in the lobby, their eyes were on you for a few moments but when you noticed them, they looked away.

Okay, this is awkward.

'You think, I can go to the library?'

'You can do whatever you want, just be vigilant'.

Before you could say anything else, John had spoken up, 'there's some extra books I'd like to show you'.

Oh? Is he interested in spending time with me?

You give him a small smile, 'sure, sounds like a plan', it was best that someone was with you for the time being.

The library hadn't changed since the last time you had visited it.
You roamed through the previous isles, your hands scraping across the spines of the books ever so gently.

'Over here'.

John speaks up and you follow his voice to see him on the second floor, he points to the wheelie ladder, 'try not to fall', you go to climb but almost lose your footing, your hand shoots out to grab whatever was there and you feel something grip your wrist and you look up to see John bent over you.

'Watch your footing'.

He added and you burst out laughing as you allowed him to help you up, 'thanks, so what's this collection you wanna show me?'
Your eyes land on a large glass cabinet and you froze, 'no... This isn't what I think it is?'

'Yes, it is'.

A full glass case of history and when you drew closer, you saw the family trees and biographies that had been stored away.

'So like, there's things about every single person who...'.

'Live at The Continental- but only the ones who are long time residents'.

'So... What about you?'

John seemed to falter before shaking his head slowly, 'no... I don't have a family to record'.

'Oh... Sorry to hear'.

'That's alright'.

You tap on the glass gently but playfully, 'seeing as I'm going to be a perminant resident here, maybe my family will be in here'.

'They are',

'Oh really!?.. But I thought they-'.

'I know, but they were very close to Marcus, as you already know. He allowed them into The Continental, although Winston wasn't very fond at first'.

'Because of what they do?'

He nodded.

'But seeing that they were in The Continental, they were forbidden to harm anyone, and that goes for everyone else in this place'.

'But you might have a stray person?'

John nodded once again, 'yes, there's always a possiblity, but you'll be fine'.

You really hoped so.