20: Drunk and Angry

CHAPTER TWENTY: DRUNK AND ANGRY 

June 27th, 2020

"Gemma, what the fuck are you doing!" It took a moment for Gemma to register what was happening, considering she was heavily intoxicated. She was confused for a moment -- wondering why Rowan was standing in front of her yelling, while Wes stood beside her looking as if he was not phased at all. 

"What - " she started to say, but was cut off by an angry Rowan.

"You know he has a girlfriend, right?"

"Rowan, shut up," Wesley laughed with an eye roll. "It's like, barely a relationship. Why are you so worked up anyways?"

"You're really gonna let Gemma fucking kiss you?" Rowan yelled, his words slightly slurred. Gemma realized, as she looked him up and down, that he was definitely drunk as well.

"Dude," Wes rolled his eyes again. "She's drunk. She doesn't even know what she's doing."

"I - " Gemma started speaking, but again, was cut off by a drunk and angry Rowan.

"So you were just gonna let her do it? Even though she's drunk?"

"She isn't even going to remember any of this tomorrow!"

Figuring that speaking was no use because she was just going to get interrupted again, Gemma looked around the crowded dance floor in search for Marcie. To her disappointment, her best friend was no where to be found. Now that she thought about it, she hadn't seen Marcie in quite some time -- she had to be either ordering more drinks, or she likely found some random guy to dance with.

"That doesn't make it okay!" Rowan screamed so loud, Gemma could feel the people around them staring.

"Why do you fucking care, Rowan?" Wes yelled, matching his brother's tone. "This has nothing to do with you!"

"This has everything to do with me," he inched closer to his brother, as if he was going to hit him. Gemma's eyes widened. She tried stepping in between them, but Rowan wouldn't budge. For being drunk, he was holding himself up well. 

"Gemma can kiss who she fucking wants," Wes angrily said while shoving Rowan back. His eyes widened, his fist rising. Gemma felt her breath stop in her throat; her voice was weak as she tried to speak, though no words came out. She tried to yell stop, but her voice was overpowered by the loud music in the bar.

Just as Rowan was about to punch Wes right in the face, Gemma somehow managed to force her body in between the two. She quickly held her hand up, catching Rowan's fist. Her voice finally came back to her as a gasp escaped her lips.

"Rowan," she felt her eyes tearing up. "What the fuck is wrong with you?"

"He - " Rowan started, though stopped speaking as he could not take his eyes off of Gemma's grip around his fist. "Gems, I could have hurt you. Why would you - "

"But you were going to hurt him!" Gemma screamed, shocked at how loud her voice was becoming. The drunk bystanders near them were definitely staring. "Why the fuck do you care that I almost kissed him? I am drunk, but I know what I'm doing! I don't know what came over me, but why the fuck does it matter to you?"

"I don't - " Rowan gulped. He lowered his fist, his heart beating fast. He couldn't explain why it bothered him, watching Gemma throw herself onto his brother. He didn't know how to explain the sinking feeling in his chest as he sat next to Avery who was not paying attention, and drunkenly watched Gemma inch closer to Wes like she was about to kiss him. Something about it just did not sit right with him. But he did not know how to explain it, because he could not even understand it himself.