30: Get the Hell out of Michigan

CHAPTER THIRTY: GET THE HELL OUT OF MICHIGAN

July 27th, 2020

"Gemma?" Rowan was at a loss for words as Gemma stood at his doorstep, with tears streaming down her cheeks, pajamas on, and no shoes covering her feet. He did not have time to take in her appearance though, given the surprise he felt from seeing her. Rowan was planning on calling Gemma later, after Avery had left his house. He was still trying to figure out what he was going to even say to her, because now that he was sober, there were some things said only twelve hours before that should not have left Rowan's mouth.

"H-Hi," Gemma mumbled, wondering why the hell Avery was standing behind Rowan, who had yet to say anything.

"I'll let you two talk," Avery spoke flatly. She was not her usual chipper self this morning, and Gemma had a feeling why. Not only had she lost her baby, though by the glares Avery was sending Gemma, she had a feeling that Avery knew about what Gemma and Rowan did, only twelve hours before.

Rowan just nodded before walking outside to join Gemma, closing the front door behind him. He grabbed her hand, bringing her over towards the bench on the front porch. Rowan sat down, watching as Gemma sat beside him. He took in her distressed appearance, immediately feeling guilty. He wasn't sure why she was upset, though he knew what he was about to tell her was going to make her even more upset.

"Why is she here?" Gemma got straight to the point. While driving over here, Gemma had every intention of telling Rowan everything that she just found out. Though once she saw Avery standing behind him as he opened the door, Gemma had a feeling that she wasn't going to be able to talk about that.

"Gems," Rowan laced his fingers with Gemma's, breaking eye contact with her, because he did not want to see the look on her face when he dropped this bombshell on her. "I want you to know that I don't regret anything last night, and that I do love you."

By the way Rowan was starting off, Gemma had a feeling that he was going to say something that she did not want to hear. For a moment, she tried to brace herself for whatever was going to come. But after finding out that Jax and Gayle betrayed her in a way she did not even know was possible, Gemma was not sure if she could mentally handle anymore bad news.

"But a part of me still loves Avery, too."

Gemma closed her eyes tightly to refrain from crying. Her heart felt as if it was going to leap out of her chest, though at the same time she could feel it sinking to her stomach.

"She cheated - " Gemma kept her eyes closed as she croaked out what remained of her vocal cords after screaming at Jax and Gayle.

"I know," Rowan sighed. "And I'm hurt by that. But I've been with Avery for almost a year, and we've been through a lot - "

"So you aren't going to call off the wedding?" Gemma asked the question she dreaded the answer to.

"I - I don't know. Maybe, but I need to be with Avery and figure this out."

Gemma ripped her hand from Rowan's. She opened her eyes, though instantly wished she would have kept them closed. Rowan was staring right at her, with a mixed look of sadness and guilt covering his facial features. He wished he wouldn't have said those things while drunk, because if he didn't, Gemma may not have been sobbing in front of him like the way she was now.

"Gems - " he attempted to put his arm around her shoulders, but Gemma backed away before he could touch the skin that his lips were all over only twelve hours ago.

"Don't," she cried. Before Gemma could say another word, the front door of the Taylor household opened. And to no surprise, out walked Avery.

"Avery," Rowan was not expecting her to come outside. "I need a second."