chapter two

where did everything start? well, in middle school. it was a rainy afternoon and their adviser had just finished announcing the students' ranking for that certain quarter. y/n didn't know what had gotten into her when she heard that albedo dominated the ranking both in classroom and school aspects. she remembered anger conquering her body and soul, she was fuming mad and soon, she just found herself in front of albedo.

"you cheated, didn't you?!" she exclaimed, staring at his eyes which albedo did the same but his gaze was stoic and unfazed.

"excuse me?"

albedo was the quiet and smart type of kid. y/n didn't actually find him a 'bother' at first since he remained low and humble until the last quarter — it was like everything that happened was a nightmare to her. it felt like a cold water had been poured over her head upon hearing the announcement, she felt cold, hot, and scared as she noticed the surprised and disappointing stares of her classmates and then her eyes glanced at albedo's side where she found him smiling and chatting happily with the rest.

"you heard me? how absurd! you've got the guts to cheat in order to beat me? really, are you that low?!"

"what? i don't understand you at all, y/n."

"of course! stupid little thing like you won't understand a bit — all you did was to cheat and cheat to beat me! at the end of the day, you're still a sly stupid liitle fox."

everyone gathered around them but she couldn't care less for she was mad and naive. "cat got your tongue? just admit it to everyone, you cheated —-"

"i didn't."

"yes, you did! stop lying!"

"i didn't cheat, y/n. you're accusing me of something i didn't do."

"ha!" she gasped, offended. "do you really enjoy playing the victim? how can you be better than me when you're not even that smart? enlighten me!"

"i studied hard like what you did — "

"so, you're saying that both of us studied hard but you did better?! is that what you're trying to imply? are you saying that i'm stupid?!"

albedo innocently tilted his head and spoke, "aren't you?"