chapter nine

"i apologize for the trouble, pres."

ningguang smiled with ease and gentleness though her eyes were pained, she managed to breathe. "it's alright, y/n. i completely understand your situation."

y/n could only put her head low, "i-i'm really —"

"hush now.." the president placed her hand onto y/n's shoulder, comforting the other woman with her warmth. "i've already contacted that one student who will replace you. you needn't worry, y/n. you can still come back next year."

the room's atmosphere was heavy, the pouring rain outside didn't help either. "i know, and i want you to know that i'll definitely come back next year — you know how i love journalism."

"i know. now, you should go home, yeah? tell your mom to get well soon."

y/n stood up, putting her bag over her shoulder and smiled. "thank you, pres."

as she was walking through the hallway, she couldn't help but to let her mind wonder. she's sad that she can't participate in the upcoming journalism competition soon but her mother's health always comes first. no one would manage the cafe since her mother needed to stay in the hospital for a while, and her brother would be the one who would take care of her.

the cafe was packed as usual — the stressed people who works at that tall building, the students studying for their finals, the artist who was painting something, the girls talking to their boyfriends over the phone, the couples having the time of their lives —- y/n couldn't do anything but to smile and put the apron over her clothes. the staff greeted her and she did the same but with unusual enthusiasm, she knew how optimistic her mother was about this kind of stuff and she needs to give her best to keep everything here good and balanced.

"black forest eclairs and iced matcha tea latte, please."

y/n nodded, "black forest eclairs and iced matcha tea latte." she repeated, writing the order down then handing it to the other staff. "dine in or take out?"

"take out."

she took a glance from the customer; it was a woman with dirty blonde hair — she looked like that pretty and rich girl who has tons of instagram followers and who has over hundred-thousand youtube subscribers as well.

"ah." the woman gasped cutely, "you're y/n, right?"

"do i know you?"

"ahm, i'm ella." she introduced, smiling with politeness but in all aspect it did look fake and y/n noticed that. "your brother courts me."