chapter nineteen

"albedo's sick." hu tao huffed, "he will not be able to go to school today."

y/n halted, slowly putting her notebook down. he really did get sick. she fiddled through her phone, wanting to text albedo but just realize she didn't have his number. her glance fell to hu tao who's waiting for her reaction, her friend nodded — like she was trying to confirm something.

"you're not telling me something, y/n."

her forehead creased, "what?"

"y'know.." hu tao leaned forward on her table, intrigued. "whenever i mention albedo's name, you will have this kind of 'disgusted expression' as if hearing his name is the bane of your existence — but! — but when i mentioned that he's sick, you look rather...worried."

y/n's heart thumped against her chest — was she really that obvious?

"is..." hu tao whispered through y/n's ears, "is there something going on between the two of you —"

"no!" she exclaimed loudly, "there's nothing between me and him!" her denial was followed by a nervous laugh. "i—i hate him! i still do! nothing changes...nothing."

"oh yeah?"

y/n avoided hu tao's stare, "shut it!"

"y/n...you're being in denial —"

"no, hu! stop being assuming!"

"you're even blushing!"

"hu tao! please, please can you keep quiet?" she pleaded, eyes widened. her friend's voice was loud that everyone turned their heads on them — she slapped her own forehead upon seeing their other friends walk towards them. "hu...please don't tell them."

"what's up?" tartaglia, energetic as usual, greeted. venti and lumine were on his side, venti glanced at them with questioning eyes while lumine gave y/n the 'you need to tell me this later' look.

"oh, it's nothing." hu tao frowned. "where's my fries?"

"can't you buy your own?" tartaglia raised his brow and took the seat beside y/n, offering his very own fries. "you want some, bestie?"

"no, thanks..."

"something's up?" venti questioned, looking at hu tao who only shook her head. "or you're not telling us about it?"

"only us girls can talk about it.." hu tao responsed.

"that's unfair!"

lumine chuckled at tartaglia's childish rant. they spent the remaining break telling stories and random stuff — about their plans in college, marriage, and thoughts on having children. dismissal came and y/n vanished from their sights instantly, soon she found herself in front of albedo's house.