chapter twenty-eight

albedo was right when he said her brother would be the one to initiate the talk.

the silence in the living room was definitely deafening, they were sitting one seat apart from each other and each time she heard the clock tick the more the awkwardness grew bigger around them.

she stole a glance at her brother, she saw how much he's fidgeting with nervousness but she remained silent.

"listen..." he started shakily. "i-i'm sorry..."

"i was an asshole and i won't make any excuses nor would force you to forgive me...just, just please listen to me..."

y/n crossed her arms across her chest, leaning her back against the wooden chair as she sat and listened to her brother. she might look unfazed outside but she was feeling hysterical inside.

"ella —" the mention of the girl's name both made them wince in pain. "she manipulated me and successfully had me following her. do you remember the day you passed out? she was crying in the bathroom, saying you misunderstood their conversation, and attacked her mercilessly."

"then, i wondered for a while, my sister is too smart to misunderstand something. however, ella continued to talk and talk — reasoning that you hated her ever since you knew about her existence, and the way you talk and act around her was making her scared and uncomfortable."

"the day i fought with you, ella tried to break up with me and sent me a drunken image of her with a guy — i was blinded, fooled, and furious and it was the exact time you arrived. her words and that image mixed up, pointing towards you, absolutely saying you're the problem. i fucked that up, i hurted you — i'm sorry for everything i've said, i know how much it did hurt you and there's no word to comfort you after hearing that..."

"i'm really sorry. you did all of that for me, you've been there for me since the start and yet ... yet i blamed you for everything." her brother took another breath. "i'm not asking you to forgive me after this ... i just want you to know that i regret everything i did and that i'm truly sorry."

then, silence enveloped them.

she bit the side of her cheek, touched by her brother's apology but not touched enough to finally forgive him. this... this is probably their closure. "i — it's fine, maybe someday time can mend this. i'm glad you finally decided to end your silence, and i understand your part."

y/n stood up, offering a small generous smile. "soon enough, i can forgive you — promise me not to make the same mistake again?"

her brother nodded, "i will not be blinded by love again."

"good." y/n smiled, walking upstairs.

she opened the window of her room, welcoming the misty breeze of the rainy weather. the cloud looked gray and heavy, a warning of the upcoming downpour that will affect the whole city. she sat next to her window, resting her chin against her palm.