chapter seven

"unstoppable, my ass."

y/n couldn't believe it but she just found herself walking one-step ahead with albedo — they were on their way to the restaurant owned by beidou's sister. it was near the district so people around them swarmed like an ocean. he was despicably annoying and loud, he kept bringing out topics from middle school and all.

"us working together is really not to your liking?"

"no, and please shut up." she frowned at him, crossing her arms across her chest as they hurried to walk. "it's hot in here, i cannot wait to finally eat and finish this shit."

"to finally eat and finish this shit, huh? something never changes."

she took a deep breath, "you're implying what?"

and before she knew it, albedo was already walking beside her. too comfortable to even point it out — acting too oblivious that he didn't make it seemed so obvious, and his polite smile caught her off-guard that's why she chose to ignore it but the frown on her face didn't vanish — it remained there and grew more obvious whenever he strikes a conversation. it was working but she was annoyed.

"that, food over me?" he questioned, confused. both of them realized how wrong that sounded, y/n saw how the tip of his ears turned red and how he avoided her gaze.

she cleared her throat, "at least you knew. you're the least of my concern."

"that's so cruel of you."

"am i being cruel to you? thought we both hate each other?"

"it was one-sided." he faced her, and it was like her normal response to also stop walking and wait for his another remark. it was stupid but she heard him. "i don't hate you." he said, almost whispering — it went away with the cool breeze of wind but y/n heard and felt it, the sincerity and the sadness both mixing together like the withering atmosphere building up.

it was suffocating to say – what did he mean by 'one-sided' — did he make a fool out of her? she rolled her eyes and walked away, whenever albedo tried to catch on to her, she would try to walk faster and the blonde eventually gave up and stayed behind her back.

"if you do not hate me, then what?" the words came out from her mouth naturally.

silence. no, their surroundings were loud and busy. loud chatters, murmurs, stressed remarks, the horns of vehicles, and the music from downtown — it was supposed to be distracting but their eyes remained connected; one was filled with determination to know, and one was filled with uneasiness — stuck between if he should tell her the truth or remain quiet.

she turned her back again, for the nth time, like it was nothing. "forget it."

the rest of the walk remained in silence. they were welcomed by the enthusiastic sister of beidou who resembled her a lot, except for the eye-patch of course, and her hair was painted pink. beidou mentioned that her sister was in her mid-30s and yet she looked the same age as them. she was pretty and funny — and the food — oh the food looked tasty and welcoming; from the warm soup made from crabs or mushroom, the seafood cooked in different ways and so appealing to look at, the dessert that she mentioned 'tasty food from different countries i've always wanted to cook' and the place was beyond amazing. the staff, the food, beidou's sister – they were all welcoming.