chapter fourteen

it was a calm morning; it rained during the night, leaving the grass still wet and the morning breeze cold and dewy. y/n was still eating her breakfast as she walked through the hallway, her hair still a mess, her brows furrowed while she listened to her brother explain himself.

"ella's pet, corky, the rabbit, died. she wasn't able to make a reviewer, that's why as your brother, i'm asking you a favor to let her borrow some of yours."

she opened the locker. "she still has days to create one, b/n. stop bothering me, will you?"

"sis." the desperation in his voice was visible, "she's mourning, and i know you know how it feels. everyone is moving forward while you are stuck in that stillness and devastating position – it sucks. and i want to help her."

"tell me b/n," she muttered once she closed the locker. "is she already your girlfriend?"

"what? no."

"then why are you going through such length just to help her? what if she's lying? what if she's using you?"

there was a glint of anger that glistened through her brother's eyes but the desperation was winning, and the crinkles on his forehead, his furrowed brows, and red cheeks were the hints.

"ella's not like that. i know her," he mumbled, almost whispering. "just please? help me, help us. i love her more than you'll ever know."

she gritted her teeth and took a step forward closer to her brother, "i can't believe you're this fool for someone." she spat, "this is the last time i'm going to help the both of you — after this, you'll receive nothing from me."

she felt the frustration was getting ahead of her – she felt mad and hot and this was not good because she knew, if she's this mad, then she'll hurt the people around her. to cool herself off, she went to the bathroom and locked herself in a cubicle.

seconds turned to minutes and when she finally felt herself calming down, she unlocked herself just to spot ella and her friends standing in front of the mirror, applying make-ups while chatting about luxuries.

y/n stood beside ella to wash her hands, as she did; she watched how ella trembled while applying lipstick to her lips. her earrings were huge, her attire bright and red — it didn't match the story her brother had told her. ella recovered and was about to greet her when y/n turned her back and walked out of the bathroom.

"where have you been?" lumine asked as soon as she stepped inside the classroom, everyone was noisy and busy – it seemed like their adviser, mr. zhongli, is not present for the first subject.

"bathroom." y/n replied tiredly.

lumine took the seat beside her, "are you alright?"

"mhm..." the latter nodded, resting her chin against her open-palm. she glanced at lumine – her beautiful blonde friend who's smiling everyday seemed to be glistening and sparkling with unusual joy today.

"why are you smiling at me?" lumine chuckled, noticing the small smile on y/n's lips.

y/n shook her head, "you look beautiful, lumi."

"oh." lumine failed to hide a smile, "you're beautiful too, y/n. i hope you know that."

"and what about me?" hu tao questioned; the two didn't notice that she was there the whole time, and the black-haired friend didn't look too happy after hearing their sweet conversation.

lumine laughed, "about that hu..."

and all hell breaks loose.

the dismissal came afterwards; this week is a hell week. there were lots of home works and performance tasks to be passed, aside from that, the second semester examination is in just a week. thankfully, y/n had already prepared her reviewers last time.

she was the only remaining in the classroom, busy finishing her homework since it isn't her forte to do assignments at home — as she was writing, she felt a presence occupying the seat beside her; it was albedo.

her grip on the pen tightened and her pulse beat quicker than normal. "what?" she asked, wanting it to sound mean but miserably failed.

"i've read the book."

"read what?"

albedo pursed his lips. "emma. i've read emma, the book you like."

albedo read the book she likes.

she swallowed and felt hot. she never expected him to really read that book, lots of people she knew complained about 'emma' not being easy to understand and stuff – but albedo – it had been only three days since she recommended it, and yet here he is; in front of her, leaning forward, and proudly exclaiming that he'd already finished it.

she felt a surge of excitement rushing through her system; multiple questions popped up into her head, she wanted to hug him – to express her gratitude because for so many years – she could finally talk to someone about something she truly and strongly likes.

but she kept herself composed. a low-sweet smile escaped from her lips, she stopped writing and looked at him. oh, his eyes were probably the most heavenly thing she'd seen in her entire life.

"did you like it?"

albedo smiled, "i did."

his smile; it is the sweetest one she'd encountered ever since, the way his lips would curve upward as he ran his fingers through his hair — she wished that this side of him would only be available to her and her only.

she nodded, her heart threatening to burst from her chest. he was so close that she could smell that familiar scent from day one — it was alluring and it made her want to lay her head against his chest. "I-i'm glad you liked it..."

"i finally understand why you love jane austen so much."

she blushed at the mention of the word 'love', "oh, albedo. she's so clever with her writing; the way she writes is really entertaining and she's really good at describing things – unlike some of the books, the characters aren't perfect but that's the purpose of it — nobody is perfect; we make mistakes and learn from them."

there she goes again; her eyes were twinkling with joy, excitement, passion, interest, and everything in between as she continued to talk. albedo could listen to her for hours.

"so," she didn't notice that she was leaning closer to him. "what's your favorite line in the book?"

"my favorite line? do you want to hear it?"

"i do." she nodded with anticipation.

"then, y/n." he leaned closer until his lips were close to the shell of her ear. "if i loved you less, i might be able to talk about it more."

&&& HELLO PLS HE USED THE LINE FROM EMMA TO INDIRECTLY DECLARE HIS LOVE FOR HER AUSHAUHDUAHFUFGAUHUJADHDJJD