Chapter 13 - The Crush That's Not Really A Crush

I quickly moved my arm behind my back but Dylan promptly snatched it back.

He breathed heavily as he held it close to his face for inspection.

"It's nothing," I muttered quickly, "I just bumped it on a door."

I could tell my story was pointless because his face clearly showed that he didn't believe me.

"Yeah, and I hate basketball," he said sarcastically.

I sighed, and avoided Dylan's gaze as he tried to look me in the eyes.

"Far out Soph, just tell me what the fuck happened," he demanded angrily.

I groaned. Honestly, why couldn't Dylan just let it go?

"Fred justgotabitmad," I mumbled, not really formulating the words.

Somehow though, Dylan heard what I said and I watched his eyes ice over.

"So this is his hand mark?" he asked lowly.

"Yeah but Dylan please just forget it, seriously. Michael already punched him," I begged desperately.

Dylan looked up at me, "Michael was there?"

"Well no, but he came out as it was happening and told Fred off. So you don't need to do anything," I added.

Dylan nodded, and I knew he wasn't going to take my advice.

"I'm going to call Michael," he said, as he left the room grumpily.

Far out, Dylan was so freaking over protective sometimes.

————————————————————————————————————————————————————

I walked into school the next day, only to be greeted by a few people talking to me in an English accent. News travels fast in a small school.

Emma walked up to me just as another boy in our grade was saying goodbye to me in an English accent.

She sniggered and raised her eyebrows, "Look what you got yourself into!"

I groaned and rolled my eyes, "I didn't mean to! It just came out like word vomit," I muttered hopelessly.

Emma grinned and shook her head, "Honestly Soph I don't know what I'm going to do with you."

Emma and I headed into school together, but we were distracted by yelling over in the court yard.

I looked over and saw Dylan shouting in Fred's face. Fred had a bit of a black eye and bruised nose from where Michael had hit him yesterday. I quickly muttered to Emma that I would explain what was happening later as I stopped to watch.

"Fucking touch my sister again and I'll get the entire basketball team on you," yelled Dylan as Fred looked around helplessly for someone to come to his aid. 

A crowd was gathering and I knew this wasn't going to end well. And then, Fred did something I least expected he would do.

It was almost in slow motion as I watched him raise his arm and punch Dylan in the face. I gasped, and immediately ran to them before Dylan could hit him back. Fred had barely affected Dylan, and I knew Dylan's punch would be a lot stronger. The rest of the basketball team had stepped up behind Dylan, so now it was about 8 against 1.

Jacob had rolled up his sleeves and looked like he was getting ready for a fight.

"Wait, stop!" I called out as I finally came up to them.