Chapter 22 - The Musical

SOPHIA'S POV

The day filled with musical rehearsals was stressful, tiring and at times, fun. Grace was in full-on crazy mode, and was running around making last minute adjustments to lines, costumes and the set.

Michael seemed a little bemused by the whole thing, and kept shooting me weary glances every now and then. It was midday, and we were yet to go through the entire play.

Grace currently had Michael and I painting the fake bed that we would be using for some of the scenes. After about an hour of this, she finally decided that we should do the final run-through of the play.

The entire run-through went well, and everyone remembered his or her lines. Just as the kiss scene was approaching, Grace stopped the play.

"Wait! No kissing until tonight! It has to be believable" Exclaimed Grace from the sidelines.

Michael chuckled softly at this, before whispering in my ear, "I don't think we'll have any trouble making it look believable."

I immediately felt my cheeks blush, and Michael smirked down at me knowingly.

It was about half an hour to show time when I realised just exactly what stage fright was. I peered out at the audience from behind the stage curtains, only to be met by a full crowd. I could see my Dad, Dylan, Emma, Jessica, Amanda, and basically the entire school. To say I was nervous was an understatement. I was nervous for my Dad to see it, for Dylan and Jessica to see me kiss Michael, and for the reaction of the student body to Michael and I in a play together.

I felt a hand wrap around my back, and I got such a fright that I nearly jumped through the stage curtains and onto the stage. I heard Micahel chuckle from behind me, and I turned around to shoot him a playful glare.

"Are you okay?" he asked me worriedly, as he looked at my pacing feet and probably erratic expression.

"Uh yup, just nervous," I muttered, as I continued to pace back and forth. Now that I thought about it, I never had been good with being the centre of attention. In fifth grade, I had to perform a dance on assembly. I'd made it through the first eight counts, before tripping and breaking my wrist. The upside of that, however, was that the other kids had queued to sign my bright pink cast. Then, in seventh grade, I had somehow wound up agreeing to showcase my science experiment at the school open day. So in front of about one hundred parents and students assessing the school, I blew up a fake volcano in my face – causing my hair to catch on fire. Needless to say, I was called fire girl for about a month; and I think that the school lost a few prospective students.

So basically, large crowds and me were not a good mixture.

Michael stared at me with a raised eyebrow as I walked back and forth in front of him. He looked half amused, and half concerned. He probably thought that I had finally cracked it and gone crazy. Suddenly, he took a step forward and wrapped his arms around me – forcing me to stop walking.

"Okay you need to calm down Soph," he said quietly with a chuckle, still holding onto me tightly. I finally began to relax, and took a step back from his arms to smile at him gratefully. He flashed me his signature grin, and it was then I realised that he was already in his costume.

"Michael Edwards, are you wearing makeup?" I asked with a giggle.

Michael's cheeks flushed, making me giggle again.

"What? We are in a play after all," he whined.

I smirked at him, "Whatever pretty boy."

He frowned at me playfully, "I resent that comment."