Chapter 17 - Awkward Encounters

After Michael left, I spent the night thinking. I barely slept. I mean, what better things do I have to be doing at 4am?

The entire night was spent trying to figure out exactly what was happening. I couldn't really comprehend that he hadwillingly kissed me. I was even more shocked that I had had the courage to kiss him back. But then, I was also conflicted. I mean, he was my brother's best friend, a senior, blah blah blah insert the rest of the long, horrible truth. There was no denying that I liked him, but then again, there was no denying that Michael was also a bit of a player. I'd seen him pick up countless girls, only to drop them a few days later. What if I was just another game to him? I knew he cared about me though, and part of me wondered whether I should just stop trying to fight my emotions and openly admit that I liked him.

Pfft, as if that would ever happen.  

After our little rendezous in the bathroom, Michael had slipped back out and gone and sat with Dylan...as if the entire thing had never happened. I'd been left gasping for air, leaning against the wall for support. He'd simply smirked at me, and gone back into the other room and continued killing people on some random Xbox game. In all honestly, kissing Michael had been one of the best moments of my life. And that's kind of how I wanted to remember it. I didn't want to have the awkward conversation about what was going on, about our feelings and what not. 

When I awoke the next morning after only a few hours sleep, I instantly went downstairs to drink as much coffee as I possibly could. Dylan who had become used to my incessant coffee drinking, simply raised an eyebrow when I poured myself a third cup. This was all Michael's fault. Bloody Michael. Being all attractive and caring and making me think about him all night s'o that I get no sleep. Maybe I would be able to avoid him all day today? 

But no, homeroom would make that impossible. I would have to see him, but that didn't mean that I had to talk to him. I was certain that it would quite possibly be the most awkward thing of my life. So my plan was to ignore him completely. Mature, I know. I just didn't think that I was ready to face him - to talk about... "us" if there even was an us. Yesterday we had been stuck in the moment... the rehearsal, the storm. But today was an entirely new day and I couldn't expect Michael to feel the same as I did. He had probably, like I've already said, been caught up in the moment. 

When Dylan and I got to school, I was immediately bombarded by Emma. Instead of greeting me, or giving me a smile, Emma walked right up to me and hit me on the arm. Dylan stared at us wearily, but simply continued walking into school.

"Ow! What was that for?" I exclaimed as I rubbed my arm.

Emma glared at me, "You didn't tell me how the kiss went at rehearsals yesterday!"

I immediately felt sick to the pit of my stomach. There was no way that I was going to tell Emma what had really happened yesterday. I was pretty sure that I could leave out the part about Michael kissing me at my house.

"Oh it was uh alright," I replied awkwardly, as I remembered the first time Michael had kissed me at rehearsals. 

She raised her eyebrows, "Just alright? This is the sex-god-Michael-Edwards we're taking about here Soph."

I stifled a giggle at her description of Michael, "It was just acting."

Emma huffed, clearly not happy with my explanation, "Come on Soph, I thought you liked this guy and then you get to kiss him, and all you can say is 'it was alright'."

I shrugged, trying to get away from the topic, "Fine it was good. But that's all."

Still glaring at me, Emma hit me again. Man, she was violent.