Chapter 1: Bottles

Wednesday

Yuri's pov

Yuri was focused on her book when the high pitched voice sounded from across the room. "Hello Yuri" the bubbly girl practically yelled, and of course Yuri did not hear. Sayori walked to the horror lover and taped her on the shoulder, causing her to jump.

 "Whatcha reading?" Sayori asked, curious of the thick but small book in her hands. "A-atlas um Shrugged" Yuri stuttered looking at the ground, unable to look at Sayori's face because it would most likely be one of disgust or madness.

 Yuri did not like talking about her books in fear of being judged. "Cool, those words are so tiny and the book is still that big" Sayori said enthusiastically assessing the book "I think its cute!" Yuri looked up "R-really?" she could barely contain her excitement that she liked the book instead of despising it.

"Mmhmm" Sayori hummed "what's it about?" As Yuri was about to answer, she noticed that Natsuki had come in. "I-it is um a-about..." Yuri stuttered, noticeably more nervous than before. Natsuki would definitely judge the half a century old book, along with the one reading it. "W-w-well... it i-is basically um... about t-the end of the world" Yuri blurted the last part out, trying to end the conversation. Turning to bury her head in her book as Natsuki walked to her manga collection.

Yuri read through most of the seventh chapter when it was time to share poems, she had not realized that both Monika and MC were already there. MC was the newest member in the club, his name was really Michael Carter, but insisted on being called MC for some reason. Though Yuri was not going to question it, and stood up and immediately went to Sayori. 

"H-hello Sayori, would you like t-to share poems with me?" Yuri said still avoiding eye contact. "Yes, although my poem today isn't as good as yesterday's" Sayori giggled as she handed her poem to Yuri. Yuri always found Sayori's poems fun to read, and usually not to be taken seriously.

"I see your poem reflects my poem about bottles and happiness. Although instead of not having enough happiness, you don't have enough bottles" Sayori says squinting at Yuri's poem, almost as if to find the criptic message inside. " Y-yes I figured that it would be um... fun to go off your poem, i-if that is okay" taking back her poem Sayori's face lights up even more, if that were even possible. "Of course it's fine! I love your spin on my poem" Looking down on he poem, Yuri did not think it was that good. 

Bottles

searching, scrounging

bottles are hard to come by

her family had many, but she had none

forced to search in the scrap yard

her arms filled with scars from shards 

that dug into her arms trying to find a way out

her shirt tear stained from crying in pain

day in and day out

She searched for her bottle

She was not going show that though because she was not about to give a Sayori reason to hate the poem. She thanked Sayori and left.

Yuri had three other options, and she did not like any of them. Natsuki would be hard to deal with, Monika was vary dismissive, and she knew nothing about MC. She figured MC would be the easiest to deal with next, and walked over to him. 

"Hey Yuri how's it going" MC said as Yuri approached him. Yuri immediately noticed a different smell as she walked closer. Most likely over sprayed cologne or something Yuri guessed as she handed him her poem. To her dismay, the poem given to her was just random words put togeather.

 "u-um... your poem is r-really good MC" she figured that was the only way to compliment his poem. "Thanks, yours is good too. I do have a question though, do you play with glass or something?" MC asked confused with the poem and just trying to get her to explain. "No... n-not quite" Yuri sighed "It is okay if y-you do not understand" As Yuri was about to explain, Sayori walked up telling them it was time to rotate.

Yuri walked up to Monika handing her the poem. Monika's poems were quite different from the others. Not always making sense like the one today, or the one she did about the hole in the wall. Today's was about the importance of all the keys on a keyboard, and without some you could not comment because of some words being useless. 

"I-i agree with you Monika, without some words you can not express to the degree that you could with them. Therefore why even speak what you feel if eveyone can not feel it as well. There are so many beautiful words that peop-uuh... s-sorry for rambling" Yuri said lowering her head. Monica's eyes were half open as if she were bored and looked over to Yuri. " You made a good poem Yuri" she said handing the poem back and walking over to MC.

Yuri sighed and walked over to Natsuki, unfortunately she seemed to be in a bad mood. Not that Yuri could tell any different. "Took you long enough. Lets get this over with" Natsuki practically growled to her. As they exchanged poems Yuri thought about all the things Natsuki could say and all the things she could say in response.

Looking at Natsuki's simple poem she could see it was about sweets and how there are multiple. As if one for each type of person was made with them in mind. "What kind of crap is this?" Natsuki murmured. "U-um I th-think your um... p-poem is great N-Natsuki" Yuri said, still avoiding eye contact. "Yea whatever, of course it's great I made it" Natsuki huffed. Yuri did not understand why she was so hostile, or maybe she was just always mad at her. That did not help Yuri think about the situation any less, in fact it made her arms itch. "Your poem is okay, just not how I would have wrote it"

 Yuri did not quite catch this, she was thinking about the fact that it seemed Natsuki hated her. Her arms were more itchy and she was starting to scratch her blazer, but it did not help. Of course Natsuki hated her, they always fought, Yuri did not read manga, she read big and confusing books, and so much more. Every thing Yuri did other's hated, she acted elegant someone hated that, she did not speak unless spoken to, others hated. If fact, right now Natsuki was judging her poem, and most likely the way she was acting. Yuri scratched vigorously at her blazer "H-hey, are you good?" Natsuki asked a worried look on her face." I n-need to go" Yuri whimpered, trembling and wide eyed as she left the room.

She could not hear the muffled voices behind her as she slowly walked to the bathroom. Once in the stall she felt for her pocket knife to find it missing from the usual spot. I probably just left it in my bag she she thought as she rolled up her sleeve. Though she preferred using a knife, she was not above using other forms of self harm. Including scratching herself, though she could never make her arms bleed this way. As soon as she started she relaxed, and the storm of anxiety faded away with it. Her arms swelled in the places she scratched, but they wouldn't see it anyway. 

When she walked in she was bombarded with questions by Sayori. "what happened?" was among some "I j-just needed to go th-the bathroom" Yuri stated to calm Sayori down. "See I told you she was fine guys" Monika said "Anyway, club time is almost over. So just do what you normally do before poems"

Glad that Monika stopped Sayori from pelting her with more questions, Yuri continued reading her book. When club was over she walked to her house, fortunately with no unwanted guests. She did live with her parents, and no they weren't always away. They just didn't talk to Yuri in less they had to, but their reasoning was because they did not like that they had a girl. A vary awkward, sometimes oblivious,  girl who could not talk to people normally.

Yuri's family was well off, not exactly rich but no where near poor. They had a business that was doing well, and wanted a son to inherit it. Yuri could have taken it but when she was younger, she told them that she wanted to become a writer instead and that started a fight. They did not ask her anything unless it was life threatening, like allergies. 

Since her parents did not care, it made it easier for her to have knifes in her room. She spent most of her night in her room making a poem for tomorrow, doing her homework, and reading Atlas Shrugged.