Chapter 22: Sentience

Natsuki's pov

"Okay, everyone! I have news" Monika said from the front of the room, grabbing everyone's attention. "Unfortunately, MC will not be joining us again because he's family moved to be closer to relatives" she said sounding a bit upset. The rest of the room was either unfazed by this news or happy to hear he was gone. "I have good news though. We have a new member" she said, not sounding very enthusiastic about it.

"Why didn't you tell me earlier? I could've made cupcakes so we could celebrate" Natsuki said, partially talking about MC leaving. "It was a very sudden thing actually" Natsuki heard from behind her. She turned to see a tall girl with shoulder length purple hair walk out of the closet with a book in her hand. Her purple eyes scanning over the page before looking up. "How long have you been in there?" Natsuki asked, confused about how she had not seen the girl when she was in the closet.

"Not very long. Monika has already told me about some of you" The girl said moving on quickly. "I'm Libitina" she said with a smile. Natsuki could see Yuri moving uncomfortably from the corner of her eyes. Sayori audibly gasped and her eyes lit up. "Isn't that-" she started before the tall girl interrupted. "Latin? Yes it is" Libitina said. "No, I mean isn't it-" Sayori was once again interrupted. "The name of the Roman goddess of death, burials, and funerals? Yep" Libitina said, looking more and more uncomfortable with every passing moment.

"No..." Sayori waited for Libitina to speak again. "The Italian goddess of delight?" Libitina asked. "No" Sayori repeated. "The Greek goddess of corpses and love then?" Libitina asked awkwardly. "Nope. I meant isn't that Yuri's first name?" Sayori said finally, earning a sigh from both Libitina and Monika. "Yes, well... I-" Libitina paused, deep in thought. She stood there for a moment before speaking. "How much do you know of the world you are in?" She asked.

"How much do you know of the world you are in?" Sayori asked with genuine curiosity. "Because I can tell you all about what I know. We are in a game where one person has control. This person is Monika" Sayori explained, the smile was no longer on her face. "Monika likes a boy, but the boy doesn't like Monika. So, Monika killed me, Yuri, and Natsuki to get his attention. The boy then deletes Monika, and the three of us are brought back. I gain control, but Monika didn't like that so she restarted the game to before the boy joins the club. She did this multiple times... twenty one times I think. This time she didn't kill us. I'm not sure why, maybe she became bored or did she notice something was different this time? Either way, I was able to keep my sentience after the festival happened, so that is why I didn't want anything to do with that boy. Monika did all those things to us, and he never tried to stop any of us from killing ourselves" Sayori finished, leaving everyone shocked. Libitina, Natsuki, Elyssa, and Yuri because they were unaware of any of these events, and Monika because she didn't know that Sayori remembered.

"Well, I come from a similar place. Although, no one is in control of our world like that" Libitina said, putting the book down and dusting her uniform off. "I need time to think about this. How about we meet somewhere to talk more about this" she continued.  "How about at your house, Marla? You seem to have a lot to explain" Libitina huffed. Monika sighed and reluctantly agreed before dismissing the club. 

-–—------–—------–—---

"Sir, I understand that we have received all this money recently, but where did it come from?" My assistant asked. "When you have been running this building for as long as it has been around, you can't help but make some rich friends. When they heard we put a pause on our research due to funding, they couldn't help but be generous" I explained as I opened the door. "With how the building looks, you would think that we were gone for longer" she said, looking at the workers repairing the hallways. 

"Yes, unfortunately we couldn't even keep this place from falling into disrepair. Let's stop it from happening again" I said as I flipped a light switch. The room lit up to show a small white room with a bed to the side. "These rooms have already been repaired in anticipation. Hopefully we will be able to continue soon" I said. "You seem very excited doctor. What makes you feel this way?" My assistant asked, peeking into the room. "The eye has been opened, and now we will be able to make use of it"