Chapter 24: Writings

Natsuki's pov

"I always get Strawberry, but Rocky Road is good too!" Sayori said cheerfully alongside Elyssa. She seemed the exact opposite as she had not more than moments ago, whith her bow back in her hair and her normal disposition had returned at the thought of food. She skipped next to the blonde as they shared a conversation about ice cream flavors.

After asking some nonsense questions, Libitina stated that if we didn't understand what she was asking, then there was no reason to explain how she got here. Elyssa stood and offered ice cream to Sayori, and Natsuki decided to tag along. Mostly so she could ask a question. She was saving up her money, so she couldn't really buy anything right now. Although Monika had been silent the entire time Natsuki was at her house, she spoke up and said she still needed to talk to Yuri and Libitina. 

"Do you guys come here often or something?" Natsuki asked as they walk into a building filled with decorations along the wall. "Yeah. Sayori likes ice cream, and I like Sayori's company. It's a very small price to pay for her time" Elyssa smiled as Sayori rushed to the front of the room to order her ice cream. "Go get something and I'll pay for it" Elyssa said as she sat at a table. "Don't you want something?" Natsuki asked.

"I don't like eating summer food this close to winter, but Sayori doesn't seem to mind. Neither do you if you decided to come along" Elyssa said as she gestured to the pictures of flavors on the wall before smiling back at Natsuki. "I guess, but-" Natsuki replied before Elyssa spoke again. "Then go get it" she said in an playfully aggressive tone as Sayori walked over. As Natsuki walked to the front of the room, Elyssa turned to Sayori. 

"Did you watch the show I recommended yet?" Sayori asked enthusiastically. "Yes, but I don't understand how the ending is sad like you said it was" Elyssa said as she moved for Sayori to sit down. "It's sad because her her lover died, and she watched it!" Sayori said as she sat down. "That is unfortunate, but now she can reflect on all the crazy things she did for him. You shouldn't murder someone because you like a person and they are in the way" Elyssa said, making Sayori smile at her response. 

"I never would have thought of it that way. I was only thinking about it from her perspective. Do you have something to write with? I have another movie I want you to watch" Sayori said eagerly as Elyssa pulled her red pen from her jacket. Sayori began writing on a nearby napkin in her sloppy but nice handwriting as Elyssa held her ice cream. Natsuki walked over and sat down right as Sayori finished writing the movie name. "I tagged along because wanted to ask you a question, Sayori" Natsuki said as she adjusted herself in the seat.

"What's up?" Sayori asked as she gave the napkin to Elyssa before taking her ice cream back. "If what you said is true, why did she do it? I thought we were her friends" Natsuki said. She knew she wasn't always the nicest, but she considered Monika to be her friend. She was reconsidering right now. "I'm not sure, Natsuki. She probably had a good reason to" Sayori said as she wrote on another napkin before showing it to Natsuki. 'Monika is listening' 

Natsuki watched quietly as Sayori began writing again. Elyssa looked over her writing before resting against the seat and sighing. Sayori passed the writing over to Natsuki before eating more of her ice cream. 'She oversees everything, but hopefully she is distracted by her own conversation with the others. I don't doubt that she can still listen in though' Natsuki looked back up at Sayori and noticed she was staring vacantly out the window before she noticed Natsuki was looking at her and returned to her cheery personality. 'To answer your question, she needed to get someone's attention because she was lonely' Natsuki continued reading.

'She was only lonely because she convinced herself she was alone. She convinced herself that we weren't real, and that the only other real person was in another place. So, to gain their attention, she did those things' Natsuki looked at Sayori before answering her as naturally as she could. "Yeah... I'm sure she did" She sighed, earning an empathetic smile from Sayori.