Chapter 19: Arrogance

Friday

Natsuki's pov

"This bullshit" Natsuki muttered. She sighed as she continued to look at the heap of words just written on the paper. Usually a heap of words on a paper were supposed to make something beautiful, but this was completely random and had no effort in it. Why couldn't he learn from examples? Everyone else in here can write a better poem than him. Elyssa is a newer member than him, and she already knew how to write poems after the first day. 

Not to brag, but just Thursday Natsuki made an incredible poem that met even Yuri's impossible standards. Yet somehow MC'S getting away with this shit. "What did you say Natsuki?" MC asked curiously. This annoyed Natsuki even further. If he didn't know what was coming for him... reality was going to hit him like a semi truck. 

"I said this is bullshit" Natsuki said just loud enough for him to hear. "Are you insane? What is this even supposed to be? It looks like a poem in the form of a grocery list" Natsuki hissed. "W-well" MC started, just to be interrupted by Natsuki. "Are you going shopping soon for a friend? I sure as hell hope you aren't shopping for a heart. What about flying? That last one doesn't even make any sense!" Natsuki's one way argument was catching everyone's attention.

They all looked up from sharing poems to hear what was happening. "...hell would freeze over before you put a little effort into anything though right? You must be oblivious to not take a hint. I know I'm not the only one here getting tired of you being a freeloader around here. I bet the only reason you are here is fo-" Natsuki could've talked for hours, but before she could Monika interrupted. 

"Natsuki! That's enough" Monika said as she walked closer to MC. Before she could continue though, another voice chimed in. "Although I don't entirely agree with the way Natsuki went about addressing the problem, I do agree that he has been getting away with this for awhile" Yuri said stepping next to Natsuki. Natsuki thought her method was good enough, but she was glad Yuri agreed.

As Yuri and Monika glared at each other, Natsuki continued to argue with MC. "I'll pay for ice cream if you come along" Elyssa said unnerved by the bickering behind her. Sayori reluctantly agreed as she wanted to break up the fighting, but how often does someone offer free ice cream? Of course Sayori knew Elyssa just didn't want to leave by herself, but she thought it was also because the blonde didn't want her to be here either.

"Oh get off your high horse! We might see eye to eye then!" Monika told Yuri. "High horse? I know it must look so high up from that rut you are stuck in, but I am at ground level" Yuri remarked. "Try not to cut yourself on that double edged sword Yuri. You might as well be stuck in the same rut as me" Monika retorted. While they continued to argue, MC started speaking.

 "You didn't have to start a fight. Maybe if you stopped being a bitch these fights wouldn't happen so often" he said. "Okay jackass. Start trying with your poems, and I'll be nicer. Until then, I hope you trip and fall from what little grace Monika has given you" Natsuki said.

"You all are being very loud. Don't you usually break up the fights, Monika?" The art club's vice president, Kotonoha, said at the entrance of the door. "Well, we are done fighting like we're eight year-olds" she said looking at the other three. "You three, out" she said to MC, Natsuki, and Yuri.

Natsuki turned to talk to Yuri after leaving the room, but Yuri was already walking down the hall. Natsuki hesitated for a moment before deciding to walk with Yuri. "Hey, thanks for being on my side" Natsuki said. To her surprise, Yuri was unresponsive and continued to stare ahead. "Hey... Yuri?" Natsuki waved her hand in front of Yuri.

Yuri stopped walking and slowly looked at Natsuki. "Sorry, what did you say?" Yuri said, but her face still looked like she was spacing out. "I said thank you for being on my side" Natsuki said as she grew a little worried. What did Monika say to her? "No problem... I have to go" Yuri said and continued to walk again.

Thinking fast, Natsuki once again caught up with Yuri. "Hey, a new food place opened up. I was wondering if you could check it out with me. T-to repay you for all the times you offered your food to me, of course" Natsuki said as she walked backwards beside Yuri. "I'm going to need a raincheck, maybe another time" she said without looking at Natsuki.

Natsuki took a second before responding. "Of course, but I expect to cash said raincheck in, possibly in the near future. And I fully expect you to say yes next time" She said after clearing her throat. "Mhm" Yuri hummed quietly. Natsuki took this as her queue to leave, and although she technically said no, Natsuki smiled as she walked through the hallway towards the entrance of the school. 

Although there wasn't actually a place opened, Natsuki was sure she could find a nice place to take her. She would find a way to save up enough money somehow. She felt a bit like she was on top of the world at this point. It was an exilerating thought. Almost nothing could make her feel differently right now. Key word almost.

Natsuki opened the door to her house and jumped after her dad talked from the kitchen. "Do you think I wouldn't find out?" He asked angrily from the counter.

Inspiration piece #3!