Chapter 18: Adrenaline

TW

Tuesday

Monika's pov

Monika gasped for breath as she ran down the hall. Everything around her was going by as a blur while she dashed into a classroom. She looked around the empty classroom before diving into the closet. She continued to force air into her lungs while she sat in the dark, cool closet.

Monika he'd been running through the whole school trying to get distance from Yuri before hiding. She had killed yet another student, which wasn't very concerning except Yuri had seen her. Another thing that shouldn't bother Monika, but she had turned her insanity all the way up. She thought if she didn't have control over the situation, it was best to just get rid of the problem like every time before.

This wasn't like anything that has happened before. Instead of killing herself like usual, Yuri murdered another person. Even that was different from the others she had seen. Monika didn't realize how clean Yuri was with the kills until this one. The body had janky cuts across the face and the cuts along the broken arms were deeper than the normal cuts. The body was uncomfortably laying in a deep crimson sea. It was much more intense in cuts and bruises.

Monika could paint a picture with the image seared into her brain. Yuri stood beside the body looking down at it with a face of indifference as she shook. Her body heaved as she breathed, causing the shaking to look worse. She tightly gripped the switchblade in her hand. Eventually Monika could breathe normally again, and her eyes were adjusting to the dark. 

As Monika's eyes continued to adjust, she thought she could see purple eyes quietly staring back at her in the dark. Monika quickly jumped up and forced herself through the door as her hart jumped into her throat. She ran out of the classroom and thought of places she could go. 

The club room came to mind, but it was club hours. If she went in there right now she didn't know how to explain why she had ran over there. She didn't really care what the others thought, but the game was already so different from how it usually was and she didn't want the player to restart everything if they thought something was wrong. It would mean all this extra work would be for nothing. She opened the door and slipped into the cooking club.

Some club members looked over at Monika and gave a greeting before going back to cooking. She healed her breath until her hart calmed a bit, keeping the cooking club from asking questions. She jumped a bit after seeing a boy with purple hair in the classroom. He was spacing out before another member snapped him out of it. Monika stepped out of the room after her nerves were calmed to head to the classroom.

"Sorry I'm late guys! Someone asked me for help with their homework, and it took longer than I thought it would" Monika lied. "You should have told them no" Natsuki said as she walked over to Monika. "what Natsuki means is she is glad you're here now" Sayori said from Monika's side. Monika looked around the room at the others. Elyssa was reading in the back, and MC was reading in the front. Yuri was nowhere to be seen right now to Monika's relief.

"Yes, now we can start sharing poems" Yuri said as she set her hand on Monika's shoulder from behind. Monika jumped at the sudden sound behind her. Yuri must have just arrived here. "Oh, did you just get here too Yuri?" Monika asked as Yuri walked to the side some. "Yuri has been here Monika. You are the only late one" Natsuki said as she raised an eyebrow. "Well, let's get started then!" Monika said as she tried to keep her voice from being shaky.

All throughout poem sharing, Monika felt like Yuri was starting at her, but when she looked Yuri wasn't even facing her direction. She was uneasy the whole club meeting, and she tried to hide it to the best of her ability but someone noticed. "Are you alright Monika?" Yuri asked as she handed her poem over. 

"You seem fidgety today" her question sounded genuine, without a hint of hate or malice. "Yes, thank you for asking. I just didn't get enough sleep last night" Monika lied again. Yuri seemed to think that was a good enough answer, although it was a question Yuri didn't need to ask. She was the reason Monika's was uneasy in the first place.

Monika finished her conversation with Yuri as fast as she could for obvious reasons. Almost like clockwork for the past week, Yuri asked to leave early after poem sharing. Monika wasn't in the least bit curious what she could be doing, or why she had been doing it for a week so she just let her go. No point in keeping someone in here after the 'requirements' of the club are met.

It gave Monika a breather from constantly feeling watched. Which she found to be very reliving. She sat at the teachers desk pondering how to deal with the mess she made. 

Inspiration piece #2!

This one is great!