Chapter 4

It's been a while since I last talked with Harrington. It almost felt like he wasn't there. Whenever class would end Steve wouldn't be in sight for the rest of the day. It's like he was avoiding me.

    After what had happened at the picnic table in the woods, I should have been upset and not wanting to talk with him, but instead I was just left with more questions.

    Did he forget?

    Did he hate me?

My brain filled with these questions as almost a whole month went by since the picnic table incident. As much as I wanted to confront him, I wanted him to talk with me...and confrontation isn't the best conversation starter.

All I've been getting from him is a hi or a hello... I don't know what I was expecting, but it definitely wasn't this.

     But... I've had enough. I'll talk with him today. Halloween is around the corner. We'll... talk about that? Clear the air of all that went wrong.

    There was the sound of footsteps while I got my books out of my bag. As I looked up, I saw Steve sighing as he took his seat next to mine.

      "Harrington."

      "Yeah, Munson?"

      "What are you going to be for Halloween? I mean it's a few days out. Probably something cool like a... werewolf or something, huh? Gotta impress the ladies."

      Steve laughed and ran his fingers through his hair causing my heart to skip a beat. Jesus... play it cool... you barely even know the man.

   "I don't know, I might just end up watching movies and not dressing up this year."

      I perked up at the opening of a conversation. i wasn't entirely sure if he enjoyed movies as much as I did, but I knew many off the back of my hand that would be perfect for the occasion. "Yeah? Well uh... any ideas what you'd wanna be watching?"

       Steve shook his head lightly before looking back over at me. "I'm sure I'll find something. I mean I'm at Family Video all the time...I'll find something that catches my eye."

      Family Video... that's not too far from where I live. I could even walk there. "I have some suggestions if you're ever interested. I could meet you there."

    Steve's face turned a light pink on his cheeks. Is... he mad? Maybe he really does hate me...

      "Or whatever man don't worry about it" I awkwardly lifted my pen to ready myself for notes.

      "No! No!" Steve cut in "That'd be fun I just... I just work there so I'm there like all the time" he laughed awkwardly "but uh yeah if you wanted to stop by it could be a nice break while I'm working."

      I felt the outer corners of my mouth raising by themselves. If I didn't know any better, it sounded like he actually wanted me there. Not out of pity. "Cool... uh... I'll stop by sometime"

   As silence hit the two of us, I started to lightly tap the pen in my hand onto the desk. Did he just talk with me to be polite? Would he really want to talk with me outside of class?

      "So..." I felt a small tap on my shoulder, causing me to look towards a nervous Harrington. "What type of movies would you recommend?"

      My heart jumped. He initiated to continue the conversation... "Idk maybe horror or uh comedy?" I start to nervously fiddle with my rings "I don't know if you're the horror type so probably comedy"

      Steve looked around and whispered "I've lived through enough Horror, thank you. So uh... yeah please think of some comedies."

     What... what did he mean by that? I mean, we live in Hawkins. Nothing happens here. At least nothing of importance.