Chapter 42

"You didn't, Steve... that's way too much money." Eddie covered his mouth with his hand. "You're joking. You have to be joking. You got me back good, Harrington...just...tell me you didn't."

"No! I actually got them, Eds! We're going to go through them all and make sure that you are going to be able to walk with me, just like I promised." I felt a smile start to rise from the corners of my mouth while talking. What a good excuse to spend every single night after school with him.

"You remembered that? I mean I didn't expect you to follow through with it...I was like on the brink of death, Eve... you were just saying whatever to keep me with you."

"No no I meant it and I'm going to follow through! We're starting right when we get to your place, Eddie. We have...10 packets to finish in 3 weeks. It's going to basically consume us for a bit...but we can walk together at graduation if we do this. You could even follow through with the plan you said in the cafeteria a while back!"

Eddie sighed before shaking his head. "You heard that?" A small smile starting to form. "I always wanted to flip that bastard off..."

"See?! We can do this and we can make sure you can do that. And I mean...come on... the pictures of us in our graduation gowns? It would be...probably our best picture together. I'd even put it on my wall, Eds."

"On your wall? That's an honor, Stevie." His smile started to get wider before placing his hand on his heart. "Now that I think about it, I haven't even been in your room. You've been in mine multiple times. How is that fair?" He raised an eyebrow before nudging my shoulder.

"I mean, my room isn't anything special. It's just basically a bed and furniture that I can't fix or change. My parents would kill me...but I'd be fine with risking putting at least one picture up. ...specially if it's you on it, Eds"

Eddie's face slowly started to become pink. "I'm supposed to be mad at you, Harrington. You're not supposed to be cute...it makes it a lot harder to be."

I shrugged before sliding my hand into his. "Kinda my job to make you not mad at me...ya know?"

Eddie shook his head softly before turning his face towards me and kissing me on the forehead. "While I appreciate your help, never spend a penny on me again, Harrington...those packets cost as much as my worth in the relationship."

"No no that's not true. You're priceless, Eds... always have been, always will be." I started to squeeze his hand slightly harder before bringing my face close to him.

"No no Harrington. No kissing." Eddie placed his free hand up to my face with a smile. "We have to make those packets worth it. Let's just get to your house and start the torture."

God damn it...I mean he had a point...but no kisses until then? This would be even more torturous.

As we pulled out of the parking lot, Eddie grabbed onto my hand tighter as the sound of a familiar song played quietly. He smiled wider before awkwardly leaning with his free hand searching for the volume dial. Eventually, he gave up and let go of my hand and tried with his left hand. Once he made it there, he turned it up.

🎶 You keep your distance via the system of touch
And gentle persuasion🎶

"Oh god... this song gives me flashbacks" I laugh before sliding my hand down my face to place it on my mouth. I mean it was true. It came with a kind of traumatic story.