Chapter 14

(TW: Emotional Abuse)

-Steve's perspective-

"Yeah I know." I sighed into the walkie-talkie. "We're just as wanted as Eddie is now that Jason saw us with him."

"Exactly!" Robin yelled back, causing me to pull the sound further away from me "What were you thinking?!"

I took a pause for a second looking at the boys with a soft smile. It was embarrassing, but I knew the answer. "I wasn't."

"Yup. This is why I shouldn't have been assigned as the babysitter and tagged along."

"Okay, fine! You're right. You're always right, Robin. Just... meet us at skull rock okay?"

"Sure... I'll make sure I'm not followed."

"Okay... see you soon." I say before placing the walkie talkie safely onto the closest hard surface and plopping down onto the ground.

It's true. I didn't think. Eddie was going to die so I panicked and just... went for the most idiotic plan to save him.

I couldn't be without him. But why? We haven't talked in months. It's my fault. I know that. But now that he's a wanted criminal I want him by my side?

   What messed up delusions I have of a friendship.

Eddie quietly sat next to me. "I know you were thinking."

"No, I wasn't. I panicked and did the first option without thought. Like I always seem to do....which gets people hurt or killed."

Eddie sighed and crossed his arms. "I don't think I would've made it if you took another second to think. I think...I think you knew that."

I sighed and placed my head between my legs. He was right, but why did I feel so crummy?

"Thanks for saving me back there...I never really got to thank you."

"Well I- We need you here." I say while tilting my head towards him.

"Well... I got you guys in trouble. I'm not sure if I am needed. I've been nothing but a burden."

I was taken back by the statement. It's true. He was what got us in trouble. What he said though, had a sting. Does he really think he's a burden?

"Nope." I say softly. "You haven't been."

Eddie's face turned a light pink before coughing and turning the other way.

Is it possible that he...

No.

Don't do this. It's not the time.

"I promise you aren't." I say while slowly getting up and lifting out my hand for him to take.

Eddie hesitated for a while but grabbed my hand and got up.

Eddie's hand was warm but the metal rings on his fingers were cold to the touch. It was...nice.

"Harrington... you can uh... let go." Eddie mumbles under his breath trying to be cool about how weird I was being.

"I guess I toned out looking at his hand...

Looking up, Eddie's face is a bright red as I let go. Making eye contact on accident, somehow it turned more into a maroon. He quickly turned away and fiddled with his hair.

"Are you guys...a thing?" I hear from behind me. Shit. Dustin. He's here.

"What?! No!" Me and Eddie say in unison.