Chapter 29

Steve slammed on the brakes before staring at me with confused eyes.

     "What the hell was that Steve?!" Dustin yelled out now on the floor from the rough brake.

      Steve avoided Dustin's current outburst and continued to just stare at me. "Steve...?" I whispered under my breath.

     Steve shook his head and looked down to the floor. "you're being serious...aren't you?"

     "I mean yeah...what are the chances that me and you have the exact same experience?" I chuckled awkwardly before sniffling from my previous tears.

     Steve sat in silence for a while in his chair only breathing. The silence in the RV was deafening. Everyone was simply just staring at Steve for answers which he wasn't giving.

     After what felt like forever, Steve got up and started to walk through the RV. Robin tried to grab onto Steve's shoulder but he brushed her off.

      Robin looked hurt that Steve didn't want her help but stayed where she was standing.

     Steve quickly went for the RV door and started to walk out into the open field that we were currently parked near in the middle of the unpaved road.

     I knew I probably wouldn't be much help, but I couldn't help but feel like I should at least try. I hurried and got up out of my seat to run through the open door.

     Yes, the group was left behind in the RV clueless of what just happened, but I knew...and I couldn't risk the same thing happening once more.

      I jogged up to Harrington to try and grab his hand before he pushed me away softly. "Please Munson I don't deserve to be comforted."

     "I highly disagree...what's wrong? We know each other again after all these years. Isn't that good news?"

     Steve stopped in his tracks before turning to me. "If you are that boy...that makes what I did even worse...don't you get that?"

      "What do you mean?" I furrowed my eyebrows and tried to reach for him again before he stepped back from me.

     "I tortured you for YEARS, Eddie. Why do I get to be friends with you now? That's just not right." Steve said before plopping down on the ground to sit. "I mean come on... I mess you up as a child and then in high school? Why do I get to be happy?"

     I felt taken back by what he was saying. Has he felt this burden the entire time that we've talked again? Is that why he keeps distancing himself? I never realized that that night could've lingered on anyone's mind but my own.

    All this time I thought Eve hated me but he was just a scared and confused kid. Just like I was.

     "Steve..."

      "No...Eddie. I don't deserve your sympathy." Steve leaned back before covering his face with his hands. "I knew what I was doing but did it anyways."

      "But Steve..."

       "Eddie. I don't deserve to feel the way I do with how I treated you. It hasn't even been that long since I-"

      "STEVE." I yelled on accident. I didn't mean to. He just wasn't letting me speak my mind. "Sorry... just.. shouldn't I be the one who decides how to feel about you after what you did?"

     Steve slowly sat up to turn his heads upwards towards my face. "Then knowing all of that...how do you feel?"

      "Well..." I started before squatting down to his height. "You've definitely changed since then. It's not fair to judge your past actions on how you are in the present. All you can do is try to improve for the future....which you have been doing."