Chapter 34

"Okay. One more time. Let's go over what happened one more time." I clasped my hands together while looking at Eleven with a determined face.

"God...no Steve. No. This would be her fifth time explaining it." Mike leaned between me and El with an annoyed smile. "Here's the basics. Eddie's in there. Woohoo. But he can't hear Eleven at all. She tried. He's basically just living his life like...well like he's still living his life."

"I wanted to make sure I got every detail...but alright." I sighed before crossing my legs "the important question now is...does he know that it's only in his mind?"

"I don't know. It's hard to know when he isn't listening." Eleven sighed before looking down.

"Do you think he's just avoiding you?" Robin cut in from behind me while placing her hands on my shoulders.

"He didn't even acknowledge me." El sighed again "either he's good at avoiding or he can't hear me."

"Well...can't you just like...snap him out of it?" Robin suggested while squeezing onto my shoulders.

"Guys...she isn't Jesus or something she can only do so much." Mike rolled his eyes before grabbing Elevens hand. "I'm sure she tried when she was in there."

Eleven stayed silent as Mike squeezed her hand. It was a lot to ask of a 15 year old. I knew that. But she was our only hope.

"Did you try...touching him?" I awkwardly ask after the pause of silence.

"Last time I did that it didn't work for me well." Eleven looked at Mike as he smiled at her "but I didn't try that"

Mike slowly let go of El's hand as a spark of hope lit his eyes. "El...would you be willing to try again? I mean...last time Billy was attached to the mind flayer. This time it's just Eddie."

"Please Eleven. We've lost so much. It would be nice to have Eddie back if this worked out." Robin let go of my shoulders before stepping in front of me and squatting down to the sitting Eleven's height. "It would help Harrington out a lot." She pointed her thumb towards me.

"Robin!" I yell out on accident.

Robin turned her head over her shoulder and gave a shrug. She's so lucky that they think what I feel for Eddie is friendship otherwise she'd be in so much trouble.

She went for Eleven's free hand and held it. "We'd be there for you every step of the way. I promise."

"Really?" El softly smiled at her.

"Really."

El looked up at me with a larger smile. "I'm going to try. For you, Steve."

Mike leaned his body between El and Robin quickly. "Are you sure, El? Like it would be super cool if you got it to work but I also want you to want to."

El nodded slowly before looking over to Eddie on his bed. "I'm sure."

I felt my heart begin to race. I could possibly see Eddie again. "Is there anything you need?" I quickly got up from my seat "like a water or something?"

El laughed lightly before covering her mouth with her hand. "No, Steve. Thank you for the offer."

"Well if you change your mind just uh...let me know. I'll go running after it." I smiled before running my hand through my hair.

Robin looked at me quickly before breathing out and lowering her hand from her face to her knee. She was trying to discreetly tell me to calm down.