Chapter 32

-Steve's perspective-

     As I picked up the remnants of the broken Walkman, I heard the sound of a shuffle behind me. I slowly turned around to see Eddie start to lift up. This is exactly what I worried would happen.

     "No... NO!" I shouted out while running towards him. I jumped on top of him to try and lower him but it wasn't working. He kept on lifting but with me on his shoulders. I let go to look up at him.

     Shit...how do I do this without the Walkman? I can't play the tape even... there's no method of playing it and the tape is broken....what do I do?

      Think Steve. What could you do? What could you do with the resources you have? With the...very limited resources you have in an old abandoned building?

      Then the dumbest thought I could possibly have came to mind... there's no way this would work but...it's all I have. I was going to sing.

     Only problem is... I only know parts of the song that I was planning on playing...but to hell with it. I can't lose him again. Not after all the shit we've been through together.

🎶I wanted to be with you alone....And talk about the weather...🎶

     I can't believe I'm doing this. There's no way in hell this would work. I'm pitchy to say the least.

🎶You keep your distance via the system of touch...And gentle persuasion🎶

     My voice cracked with the last line that I sang. I sounded terrible. I wouldn't wake up to it...why would he?

     I sighed and looked up at him. Should I give up? Should I just accept fate and know that I'll lose him unless he gets out of it by himself?

     God damn it. No. I have to say that I tried...or I'll never forgive myself.

🎶 Something happens and I'm head over heels...I never find out until I'm head over heels🎶

     The song was supposed to be upbeat and yet with how hard I was shaking I was turning it into a sad song.

    "Wake up Eds...I can't do this without you. I just can't. Not after knowing how life could be with you by my side... FIGHT. I need you to fight."

     Eddie's hand slightly twitched to grab my hand back.

      I smiled. I honestly felt like jumping out of excitement but I needed him to still hold on. "Yes! Eddie! FIGHT!"

      Okay... the song...try and get it as good as you can. You got this Harrington.

🎶Something happens and I'm head over heels...don't take my heart, don't break my heart...Don't, don't, don't throw it away🎶

       I felt a little more confident as Eddie squeezed tighter onto my hand. Maybe...he'd make it out.

     "Eddie... you have to stay strong. We're going to the park, right? We'll go on the swings again. Just you and me...wouldn't that...be fun?" I felt my chest tighten. There's a chance that I won't be able to to do that again. "Just...just like the old times."

     Eddie squeezed onto my hand even tighter before I heard a crack. I looked up from his hand to see that it was now facing the opposite direction.

     "Eddie...please... the movies. We'll go to a Halloween movie together...wouldn't you want that?"

      Another snap came from Eddie as I saw his elbow turn the wrong way as well. While it was uncomfortable, I didn't dare to let go of his hand.