Chapter 19

I know I'm acting like a child. I know I shouldn't be upset about Nancy and Steve getting along so well, but I can't help it.

       We've gotten closer over the last two days than we have in a while.

       My concern is just that Nancy will ruin all the progress that we've made.

        Robin placed a hand on my shoulder as we watched the two be inches away from each other. The patch up process was taking a while.

       It was nice to see Steve in my jean jacket, but that was the only bonus.

        Robin sighed and looked at me "that's tough."

        "What do you mean?" I whisper trying to keep Nancy and Steve from hearing.

      "You know... them getting closer and all. I thought you two were hitting it off."

       I didn't know how to respond to that. Was I being that obvious about my feelings for him? I mean they aren't strong feelings but they're  there.

       "I mean they did date before." I sighed while fiddling with my rings "it's bound to have some residual feelings."

      Robin nodded and patted my shoulder. "Don't give up yet."

       I awkwardly nodded back and turned the other way so I didn't have to see the two.

      I cared to see if Steve was getting patched up but I wish I was the one doing it. Nancy was just...so close.

        I sighed and looked at the sky. This place was something else. It was like any D&D campaign coming to life. It was cool but also terrifying.

       "Scary, huh?" I hear from behind me.

        "Not really. It's the creatures that make it scary." I say while turning my head to the beaten up Steve.

      Steve nodded and sighed. "How are we going to get out?"

       I shrugged. "The way we got in isn't an option."

      "I know." Nancy stepped forward. "We could go to my house. We'd at least have protection."

       I turned to her with a concerned face. "What the hell is that supposed to mean, Wheeler?"

       Nancy sighed and started to walk ahead of us at a fast pace. "I have guns, Munson."

      I felt my eyes widen out of instinct. What the hell? Nancy Wheeler? The Nancy Wheeler. The one that was the girliest girl I know, having a gun in her house? And she added an s which means she probably has MULTIPLE?

       Steve patted my shoulder and walked ahead of me as well. "It's weird but you'll get used to it."

     Robin jogged to get to Nancy's tempo to walk with her. Steve was slightly ahead of me but I could catch up rather easily due to his injuries.

      "Hey uh...Steve?" I say while lightly jogging up to him.

      "Yeah?" Steve said, turning his head towards me.

       "What you did back there was uh... pretty metal." I nervously say while twirling my rings around my fingers.

       "Really?" Steve's face lit up slightly by the implication.

       "Y-yeah dude you were like Ozzy."

        "Who?"

         "Oh...he's this uh... guy who bit a bat's head off on stage." I started to fiddle with my shirt. I probably sound so lame. He doesn't know who Ozzy is.

      "Oh, cool." Steve smiled before turning his face the other way.

       "So uh...you and Nancy..."

          Why am I bringing this up? It's not like I'll like the answer. He's in love with her. It's so obvious. He'll probably go on about how he wants her back.

        "What about her?"

        "I don't know... you have feelings for her still?"

        God...shut up. You know the answer.

        "Uhhhh well we broke up a while ago..."

         I sighed and looked down at the ground. "Didn't really answer my question."

       Steve sighed back. "To be honest, I don't know. I mean she's great. She was my first love... but there's someone else who's been making me feel like how she did."

       I tried not to seem too happy about what he said while looking at him.

       "She didn't hesitate." I blurt out.

          I mean...he should know, right?

         "What?" Steve lifted an eyebrow before looking back at me.

        "When you got dragged down, she didn't even stop for a second. She just...dived in."

          Steve sighed and ran his hand through his hair. "Thanks for telling me."

       I nodded.

       We walked in silence for a while until Steve cut it off.

       "The other person, they're...they're great. I would honestly never expected them to be so cool."

       "Really?" I tried to not get hopeful. It's not even guaranteed this 'person' was me.

       Steve smiled softly. "Yeah. I mean I've known this person for a while but I don't think I've ever really allowed myself to think about how I felt about them until now."

      I softly smiled as well "Could you see it going anywhere?"

       He shrugged. "I honestly don't know. There's a lot of things that could go wrong if I told them."

       I nodded and placed my hand on his shoulder. "What's the worst that could happen? They say no?"

      "Yes...exactly that." Steve sighed. "I like the friendship that me and this person have."

         I nodded. "Well...it's possible they feel the same, so.... Think about it?"

         "I will. Thanks for hearing me out."

         I felt my face heat up "yeah.. anytime..."

         Robin cut in between us. "hey dinguses... We're here."