Chapter 50

As we ran, Eddie kept squeezing onto my hand tighter. Dustin was laughing the entire time. It felt so...liberating to be able to run just the three of us. Far away from the responsibilities of the future or the present. We were free.

    Eddie eventually tripped over his feet and fell to the ground, sending me and Henderson flying forward. As we basically summersaulted into the grass, I couldn't help but laugh. It felt like when we were kids all over again. I wanted...to be able to experience this for so long. Now here I was...with the love of my life and one of my best friends in the whole world.

     How can I be so lucky?

     I slowly lifted up Eddie's hand to kiss the back of it as we laid in the grass. Luckily, none of us were injured, but we were all too lazy to get up. I slowly turned my head towards the blue sky. There wasn't a cloud in sight. "I wish you could see the day...it's perfect, Eds."

     "Not as perfect as this moment, Eve." Eddie sighed before resting his head into my shoulder. "I graduated, man."

    "You sure did" Dustin lightly chuckled. "Don't think you'll ever be allowed onto the premises ever again though after that stunt."

     Eddie slowly nodded before pulling Dustin closer to his side. "I love you guys."

    A light cough came from up ahead. I expected it to be Robin or Nancy...but as I lifted my head, it was my father. He gave a flat fake smile at the group and a nod.

    "Sorry to cut the uh...moment off." My mother awkwardly smiled while clasping her hands together. "Just...Steven. We really need to chat."

    I sighed before patting Eddie on the shoulder as I got up. "I'll...be back Eds. Shouldn't take too long."

    Eddie nodded before talking with Dustin again. I appreciated that he didn't put up a fight in front of my parents. It wouldn't end well. Thinking back, did he even...know their voices? Did he just think it was the friends I mentioned? Surely Eddie knew better.

     As we walked to behind the bleachers, My parent's fake demeanors dropped. The second that no one could see, they dropped their perfect suburban act. This is who I knew...there was nothing wrong with it, just they...had the worst timing ever to drop by.

    They shared a look between the two of them before my father huffed and folded his arms.

     Was I in trouble for that stunt? God...why do I care? I'll move out. I'll live with Eddie if they're so against it. I'll...change towns if I have to.

     "Steve...me and your father...we're getting a divorce." My mother's face looked pained to state it. Like either one of us would freak out at any moment.

     To be perfectly honest, I'd been expecting this moment for a long time. They didn't see each other hardly ever. They only got married due to me. Now that I was graduated, what was the point of the façade? Had they planned this for my graduation day for a long period of time?

    "Well...aren't you going to shout or scream? We're your parents...and we're wanting to end things...I'd expect at least a tear, son." My father sighed again before stepping slightly closer to me.

     "I mean, good for you guys. I'd rather you be happy. Not forced to stay together for me." Is all I could muster out.

     I mean it was true. They'd been together since they were teens. It wouldn't be fair of me to expect them to still stay together. It would be like...

     Like...me and Nancy staying together. Looking back, I was just as foolish as my parents. Wanting my high school relationship to work out so badly. To stay in a relationship that people expected. That I expected of myself. Did some part of me subconsciously want the same even though I was miserable due to their mistake? This...was a lot to take in.

    "You're handling this surprisingly well." My mother raised an eyebrow before she looked over to my father who nodded.

    "Thanks...but I gotta get back to my friends, alright? We can work through this more later." I awkwardly shot finger guns at them as they blinked in surprise. "Okay! Love you!" I yelled behind me as I ran back over to where Eddie and Dustin.

     I know now. Why I was so calm. I didn't want Eddie for some stupid reason like wanting to be like my parents.

     I wanted him because...he's him. He's my childhood friend. The dungeon master. The guitar player. The metal head. The absolute dork. The love of my life. The one and only love I've ever had. He's been there. Even when I was an ass. Even when I was an idiot and wanted to get back with Nancy. He was there.

     Our memories flooded through my brain as I continued down the grass. The swings. The slide. The first day of school. Dungeons and Dragons. Halloween. Him threatening my life...that one wasn't a favorite. Everything that we went through...added up to this moment. This amazing moment of realization.

     Every scar, every broken bone or traumatic experience, was for right now. For me to be able to...tackle Eddie Munson back into the grass.

    And that is exactly what I did.

     Eddie laughed before trying to pry me off of him "Steve...why are you being so clingy that ya tackled me? You were gone for like...ten minutes tops. You're such a dork."

    "I want to spend the rest of my life with you." I blurted out.

    "What? That's so out of left field, Eve..." Eddie whispered back to me trying to make sure that Dustin wasn't getting a show.

    "I mean it. I really mean it. You don't have to feel the same way. That's a lot to ask of someone. I know that...." I whispered back, trying my best not to smile like an idiot.

    "Eve...I want that too." Eddie slowly brought his palm to my cheek and leaned forward.

     As our lips collided, Dustin clapped like an idiot...but I didn't care. All that raced through my head was Eddie Munson.

    I'm so in love with Eddie Munson.

(A/N: I swear I'm so sad that this is almost over ugh....)