Chapter 23

-Steve's perspective-

Eddie was almost to the top when his body stiffened and he fell straight onto his back. The floor made a loud thud before I heard Eddie breathe out.

I laughed slightly and held out my hand to him "you totally ate it... are you alright?" I stood with my hand out for a while towards Eddie but he wasn't taking it.

"Eddie...?" I squatted down to take a closer look at him to see that he was looking up.

"What're you looking at?" I said before looking up at everything around the area of his sight. There was nothing.

"Eddie...this isn't funny. Come on." I said while emphasizing that my hand was out for him to grab by shaking it in front of him.

Still nothing.

"Eddie...come on..." I touched his hand but there was no reaction.

"Eddie...you're scaring me." I grabbed onto his hand lightly, hoping for some kind of reaction.

Nothing...

"What's going on?" Dustin yelled up to us cupping his hands over his mouth to try and extend his voice.

"Eddie's not responding to anything I say" I nervously yell back. I grabbed onto his hand tighter. Please...flinch...something.

Soon there was loud footsteps above at a quick speed. "Henderson?" I called out before looking back up.

Robin and I made eye contact before she stated "he's in Eddie's room."

Eddie started to shake lightly causing me to panic.

"Whatever your plan is Henderson...HURRY."

-Eddie's perspective-

    Soon the darkness turned into a lowly lit room. "Steve?" I called out only for the room to echo back at me.

     I squinted to notice a familiar sight. My mother's bed. It's been forever since I've seen it. I placed my hand lightly on top of it.

      "What are you doing?" I hear from behind me. A familiar voice...it couldn't be.

       I turned to see my father. His face just the same as the last day I saw him. Sweaty with stubble all around his chin...holding by a thread.

       "You're not real..." I mutter under my breath trying my best to back away. I hit into the dresser drawer and felt myself fall into a corner.

      "Why do you run, Eddie?" The voice came out of my father but it wasn't him. "I'm only trying to help you."

      "Yeah by killing me you psychopath!" I yelled out before grabbing my mother's favorite lamp and throwing it at him.

      The vase broke on him, causing him to be distracted as I ran across the room.

      "You're in my domain, Edward. There's not many places you can hide...especially in a room. But you know that...don't you?" The ghost of my father stated. His eyes completely white while having a menacing grin.

     "Leave me alone" I yell while trying to get at the doorknob.

       "You know it won't open, Eddie. It's locked...and only I have the key."

        I felt my breath hitch as I looked at him. I can't do this again. I can't be stuck again.

         My father's demented figure reached his hand out to show a key. "You can have it...only if you send them a message for me."

     I squinted at the figure. "Who?"

     "Your friends."

     "What message?"

      Before my eyes I saw a string of images.

      Hawkins opening up as red light flooded through the cracks.

     Max was in danger.

     Steve was crying.

     Families were screaming for help.

       "This is inevitable... but if you try to stop me..." he said while dropping the key onto the floor "this will happen and worse."

      I grabbed the key and ran to the door. It opened without me even trying the key.

      I looked behind me to see my father one last time staring back at me with blank eyes.

       I'm sorry dad.....

      I turned back around to walk through the door.

     I felt a warmth on my back as I took a deep breath.

     "Eddie!" Steve screamed out happily.

     "Miss me that much you have to hug me, Steve?" I smile before lightly pulling away.

     "I thought you were a goner." Steve sighed before looking down.

     "Me too." I laughed awkwardly.

     "Let's try that again."

     I sighed and folded my arms "this time.... you first."