Chapter 22

As we watched the light flicker up the stairs, we followed it to the source.

       I stood by the doorway hesitant to go back in. I honestly don't want to go back in there. Nancy's room looked eerily similar to my mother's room where they kept her belongings.

       Steve looked at me with furrowed eyebrows and concern in his eyes "you uh...don't have to go in if you feel uncomfortable. It's totally reasonable."

      I shook my head "the others will think it's weird...I'll just go." I sighed before entering through the door frame.

        We stood in silence for a while. Not a single light was on so we just kinda stared at each other.

       Steve was only looking at me though. God Steve...stop looking at me. I felt my face heat up and I turned the other way to avoid eye contact.

       Steve brushed his fingers against my hand "hey... I'm here for you" he whispered before linking his pointer finger around my pinky.

        God damn it Steve do you know what you're doing to me? He must...right?

        "Thank you" I whispered back giving a small smile. I really did appreciate the gesture but it couldn't help but feel...well...romantic.

        Steve smiled back and tried to make sure that Nancy and Robin weren't watching. They weren't. They were chatting among themselves too.

       Steve breathed a sigh of relief. Probably because of Nancy. I mean...she's the first love of his life probably. Can't have her catching on that Steve's flirting with me.

        I withdrew my hand and folded my arms. I honestly liked Steve. I just...didn't want to be second fiddle. While I have a harder time with my own self worth, I know that I'm at least worth that.

       Steve looked confused. Right when he opened his mouth though, there was a square of light.

      Nancy and Robin gasped before touching it.

       "Spell" was all we heard from our side and it echoed.

       "I think he's asking us to spell out what's going on." Robin suggested to Nancy.

        Nancy nodded and started to trace the word "Stuck" in the lights.

       "You're stuck?" Came from a voice similar to Henderson's

        Nancy traced the word "yes"

        There was an echo of a sigh. "Try...other places?"

        Nancy slapped her forehead. "Of course! Eddie's trailer! Why didn't I think of that?"

       The group shrugged. We didn't think of it either in her defense.

       "No" Nancy traced. "Eddie's place?"

        "Meet you there." An echo of Dustin rang out before the light went out.

        "Guess we know where we're going." Robin sighed.

         "That'll take forever walking..." I grumbled.

         "Who said we were going to walk?" Nancy smiled before running down the stairs.

        "What does she mean by that?" I look at Steve before he replied with a shrug and followed her lead. I hesitantly followed suit. "Alright then."