Chapter 36

"So my hair is that bad, huh?" I teased while softly nudging his hand.

      "I wouldn't really call it bad, Eve. It's just...strong" Eddie softly smiled before trying to reach his fingers out.

     "What are you doing?" I laughed "you should really not over exert yourself."

     "Damn these broken fingers" Eddie mumbled underneath his breath frowning. "I dunno...just uh..." Eddie slowly got quiet before sighing and slightly tilting his head down in the neck brace. "Fuck it... I might not have many days free still, so I...should just come out with it."

      I slowly placed my hand on top of his before smiling. I knew he didn't see me, but it was the thought that counts. "You could tell me anything, Eds"

       He sighed again. "This is a little harder to admit though. I mean...it's really risky to even talk about it. Let alone... be it..."

       I felt my eyebrows knit together. "Eddie...no matter what it is, I'm on your side. Nothing could ever change that. We've been through too much shit for me not to be."

       Eddie's mouth made a fine line as he slowly started to grab onto my hand.

      "Doesn't...that...hurt you?"

      "I mean, yeah... but this is the least I could do. It's not really my dream scenario...but I...I could at least do this." Eddie's cheeks slowly started to become pink.

      Wait. He wasn't mad this time...was...was this...? Was he...?

      "I'm in love with you, Eve..." his face slowly turned darker red as he continued to talk "a-and you don't have to feel the same way. It's just...I can't take it anymore. After almost dying and having to worry about the police taking me away...I just...needed to say it. At least once."

     I couldn't help but freeze. He...liked me back? As more than a friend? And not just like...he said love... holy shit.... A smile slowly started to grow on my face. After all of this, I knew. I felt the same way. I smiled before looking at our hands intertwined. After all the madness...we at least...could have this.

     "S-Say something, Eve. Anything...." As I looked back up at Eddie his eyes were watering with a forced smile on his face.

     "Oh my god, Eddie!" I hurried and let go of his hand to start to wipe the tears from his eyes. "Don't cry..."

     "I can't help it, Eve...I'm pouring my heart out and you're...being silent...it's...terrifying."

      "I was just thinking, that's all, Eds." I sighed before turning my hand to cup his cheek.

      What I was about to do... would change everything. Was I really ready to take the jump? It was something you can't really back out of once it started.

     As Eddie said earlier...Fuck it...

      I slowly leaned in as my heart was racing. After all this time...we deserved to be happy. I softly started to kiss Eddie's chapped lips as he let out a small yelp.

     "Oh! Sorry...I...probably should've asked for your permission before I-"

      "God...you're an idiot sometimes, Eve..." Eddie chuckled under his breath. "Come back, please."

       My face slowly became even warmer as I leaned back in for another kiss. This was it. This was the feeling I was searching so deeply for. I was madly in love with Eddie Munson and he was in love with me.